• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help with HOA dues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aliandkeith

What is the name of your state? Washington State

Hi,
I am going to try to sum up my situation. I live in washington state first off. I was behind on my HOA dues. I recieved a letter dated dec 12,2005 stating that i owe a total of $2742.00. $2492.00 was for my dues and $150.00 was attorney fees and $100.00 was a lien release fee.

I convinced the association to let me wait until jan 31st to pay this off. In the meantime the attorney stated via e-mail that i must include januarys dues in the amt owing, to them. Anyhting less would not be accepeted. he never sent me any formal letter, just an e-mail.

i sent in a pmt by jan 31st for the amt of $2857.00, the amt owing minus the fees. I did not have the whole pmt, as my cat was ill with cancer and i had an unexpected vet bill of $500.0

Two weeks passed and the check had not been cashed, I e-mailed 3 times to find out why. On the 3rd time i was told that the association refused my pmt and forwarded it on to the attorney. I immediatley called and e-mailed the attorney with no repsonse. I had told him i wanted to pay the balance owing. No respone from the attorney. 3 days later i get a lovely letter stating that due to my brazen disregard, i now owe over $6100.00 in fees for their corresopondence to me, which was one more letter, correspondence with the HOA, and costs.

My question is how can the fees go up so much in a month? it seems like they are trying to take advantage of us. Yes, i was supposed to pay it all by a specific date which i did not do. that i take responsibility for. Also, can they add january's pmt to the amt owing via na e-mail? Shoudn't hey have to send something via certified mail? Also, can they refuse my payment becasue of the non payment of the attorney fees? SO i did pay all of my association dues that were past due, just not the lien release fee and hte $150.00 in attorney fees.

Please help!!

seniorjudge

aliandkeith said:
What is the name of your state? Washington State

Hi,
I am going to try to sum up my situation. I live in washington state first off. I was behind on my HOA dues. I recieved a letter dated dec 12,2005 stating that i owe a total of $2742.00. $2492.00 was for my dues and $150.00 was attorney fees and $100.00 was a lien release fee.

I convinced the association to let me wait until jan 31st to pay this off. In the meantime the attorney stated via e-mail that i must include januarys dues in the amt owing, to them. Anyhting less would not be accepeted. he never sent me any formal letter, just an e-mail.

i sent in a pmt by jan 31st for the amt of $2857.00, the amt owing minus the fees. I did not have the whole pmt, as my cat was ill with cancer and i had an unexpected vet bill of $500.0

Two weeks passed and the check had not been cashed, I e-mailed 3 times to find out why. On the 3rd time i was told that the association refused my pmt and forwarded it on to the attorney. I immediatley called and e-mailed the attorney with no repsonse. I had told him i wanted to pay the balance owing. No respone from the attorney. 3 days later i get a lovely letter stating that due to my brazen disregard, i now owe over $6100.00 in fees for their corresopondence to me, which was one more letter, correspondence with the HOA, and costs.

My question is how can the fees go up so much in a month? it seems like they are trying to take advantage of us. Yes, i was supposed to pay it all by a specific date which i did not do. that i take responsibility for. Also, can they add january's pmt to the amt owing via na e-mail? Shoudn't hey have to send something via certified mail? Also, can they refuse my payment becasue of the non payment of the attorney fees? SO i did pay all of my association dues that were past due, just not the lien release fee and hte $150.00 in attorney fees.

Please help!!
I did not have the whole pmt, as my cat was ill with cancer and i had an unexpected vet bill of $500.00.

Is this considered as an excuse in your CCRs? If not, then you owe the dough.

aliandkeith

i am not using it as an excuse. I was hoping that they might have some sort of compasion. I had to put my cat to sleep after paying $500.00 in vet bills.

After all i did attempt to pay all of my owing assesments. I then tried to pay the owing attorney fees less then 30 days later. It just seems like a enormous amt o ffees they are all of a sudden trying to charge me. These attorneys must be charging $1500.00 an hour.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">