• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with my builder not maintaining the property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

station115

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
Sorry this is going to be long, but it is a huge problem!
I bought a new condo approx. 2.5 years ago. After living here a year I could see that the builder was moving very slowly finishing the property. About 1 building per year is being built. We have to be 85% completed before the builder will hand over the association to the residents. We are no where close to that, it will be another 10 years at the rate he is moving.

Since the spring the entire community has gone down hill. The biggest problem is the landscaping. We have nothing but weeds for grass and it is rarely mowed. The mulched areas have weeds that are over 3 feet high and thick. I have recently even seen snakes in the area. We also have an area that the builder is going to build detached garages in the middle of the parking lot. However because of the price he wants to sell them for no one will pay for them so he won't build them either. So we have two mud/trash pits in the middle of the parking lot full of weeds and garbage and piles of mud instead of garages. My neighbors have had a tarp and an old bike under their stairs leaning against their A/C unit for over 2 years now that is trash that they need to clean up. We also have no working street lights. They are all broken. The sprinklers haven't worked for the last year until last week. So what grass we had died and the weeds took over. This is a nice part of town and had we as tenants known that the builder wasn't going to maintain these or finish them we never would have bought them. And now we can't sell them because it looks so bad here.

Several tenants have complained, called and written letters. Several others are refusing to pay their dues (which I know is the wrong way to go about it). I have written a letter and faxed it and got the confirmation they got it. This has worked in the past for repairs. But now I am getting no reply to my latest complaint. We received a letter 2 weeks ago promising that landscapers were coming and were going to spend the whole last week here. Yet they never showed up. So it looks worse than ever. I kept the letter and have taken pictures. But now I don't know what legal action we as tenants with no association can take.

I should also mention we suspect that our financial management company isn't doing what it should with our money, thus the landscapers don't get paid and don't show up. They have never sent us a statement and when asked they refuse.

Should I make a list of problems and attach pictures and mail it to him with signatures? I hate to do all this work for nothing if it is the wrong avenue to take. I need legal adivce very bad! This builder has to be the worst in the country. I have other problems with my unit and when it was under warranty he refused to fix it stating it couldn't be fixed. So I just have to live with a huge dip in my kitchen floor. This is all very frustrating. Any advice? Legal advice? Anyone delt with this before?:mad:

acmb05

station115 said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina
Sorry this is going to be long, but it is a huge problem!
I bought a new condo approx. 2.5 years ago. After living here a year I could see that the builder was moving very slowly finishing the property. About 1 building per year is being built. We have to be 85% completed before the builder will hand over the association to the residents. We are no where close to that, it will be another 10 years at the rate he is moving.

Since the spring the entire community has gone down hill. The biggest problem is the landscaping. We have nothing but weeds for grass and it is rarely mowed. The mulched areas have weeds that are over 3 feet high and thick. I have recently even seen snakes in the area. We also have an area that the builder is going to build detached garages in the middle of the parking lot. However because of the price he wants to sell them for no one will pay for them so he won't build them either. So we have two mud/trash pits in the middle of the parking lot full of weeds and garbage and piles of mud instead of garages. My neighbors have had a tarp and an old bike under their stairs leaning against their A/C unit for over 2 years now that is trash that they need to clean up. We also have no working street lights. They are all broken. The sprinklers haven't worked for the last year until last week. So what grass we had died and the weeds took over. This is a nice part of town and had we as tenants known that the builder wasn't going to maintain these or finish them we never would have bought them. And now we can't sell them because it looks so bad here.

Several tenants have complained, called and written letters. Several others are refusing to pay their dues (which I know is the wrong way to go about it). I have written a letter and faxed it and got the confirmation they got it. This has worked in the past for repairs. But now I am getting no reply to my latest complaint. We received a letter 2 weeks ago promising that landscapers were coming and were going to spend the whole last week here. Yet they never showed up. So it looks worse than ever. I kept the letter and have taken pictures. But now I don't know what legal action we as tenants with no association can take.

I should also mention we suspect that our financial management company isn't doing what it should with our money, thus the landscapers don't get paid and don't show up. They have never sent us a statement and when asked they refuse.

Should I make a list of problems and attach pictures and mail it to him with signatures? I hate to do all this work for nothing if it is the wrong avenue to take. I need legal adivce very bad! This builder has to be the worst in the country. I have other problems with my unit and when it was under warranty he refused to fix it stating it couldn't be fixed. So I just have to live with a huge dip in my kitchen floor. This is all very frustrating. Any advice? Legal advice? Anyone delt with this before?:mad:
You are all going to have to get together and sue the builder.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">