• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Needs Assistance to protect mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BozWalker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
Hi all my mom made a bid on a condo in central islip, ny. The current owner moved out in november and its currently bank owned. The electric was turned off and has been off since. When she took me to see the condo there was no electric so couldnt check the appliances or the circuit breakers and the RE rep is pushing to sell this condo quick as its listed as investor or user and Im worried that mom is buying a condo and gambling on if theirs any problems with electric or circuit breaks and she cant afford an engineer. Please help

festival

Ask the bank if you can turn on the electric. If the bank will not put the bill in the bank's name, then consider putting it in your mom's name as if she is a renter. Before you call the electric company, go to the condo and turn off the main breaker and all the breakers, so there is no possibility of an appliance causing an electrical fire when the power is turned on before you get there. After you inspect, turn off all the breakers before you leave. There is always a small risk of electric fire.

I would be concerned about buying from a bank. Your mom and her attorney should contact the owners association directly -- don't go through the bank or the real estate agent. Find out about all the usual condominium disclosures, such as unpaid assessments on the unit, anticipated future assessments, if other units are foreclosed not paying their share of the fees, the state of the association finances and reserves, and litigation, to name just some of the disclosures. Google "condominium disclosures" to get a list.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">