• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor-Water Heater-Noise issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NuNu1

What I live in a complex of 6 attached condo. 22 months ago I installed a water-heater. My common wall neighbor complained 8 months ago about a sound that the heater makes when the hot water is used. Just one/short humming sound when it turns on. Now she wants to sue me. Can she? Because of the noise she hears twice a day?

divona2000

---What is the name of your state ? (only U.S. law)---

and...if she can hear, through a wall, the tiny sound of your water heater kicking on, what else can she hear? :eek:

Kiawah

Is your new one a tankless that hangs on the wall, whereas your old one was a tank model sitting on the floor?

Does your new one have a circulating pump motor on it, that is turning on?

What exactly is the noise that they are hearing? Water flow thru the pipes? Gas burner igniting?

NuNu1

Is your new one a tankless that hangs on the wall, whereas your old one was a tank model sitting on the floor?

Does your new one have a circulating pump motor on it, that is turning on?

What exactly is the noise that they are hearing? Water flow thru the pipes? Gas burner igniting?
Hello Kiawah,

It is sitting on the floor, 40 gallon, gas. you can only hear it when the Gas burner turns on when the hot water is on. I just want to know if she can sue me over the noise?

Kiawah

A like for like replacement, nothing different judge.

Standard 40 gal water heater that all the owners have, in exactly the same spot as the old one, installed by a licensed plumber and up to code.

tholt4

"A water heater insulating blanket may dampen the noise and save energy at the same time."

Read your water heater manual before installing an insulating blanket. My electric water heater manual said the warranty would be voided if an insulating blanket was used.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">