• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

noisey neighbor next to my condo unit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wyldrush

What is the name of your state? FLorida

I have a neighbor that loves to blast his TV or radio till about 10PM each day. Since his livingroom is next to my bedroom I can not get rest in that room. I have asked him a few times to lower it and well it does not help. Sometimes he will not even answer the door when I knock since it is so loud so I just go out for awhile and pray.

I rent my unit and have complained to the owners a couple times when I spoke to them about something. They just say. the guy next door is cool, just ask him to lower it. Problem is, the unit I rent was vacant for 2yrs so this guy never had a problem. I sent 3 letters to the board and they reply, all you can do is call police, we are not responsible according to the condo docs.

So would I have grounds to terminate my 12 month lease over the noise issues. I work hard and can not come home and relax in my bed till after 10PM which is not right. I know the condo only allows one lease per 12 months so the unit can not be rented again and lease states if i move early I can be held liable for full 12 months.

ADVICE???? I much rather move than deal with this crap...

Andrew

las365

This won't help answer your legal questions, but I suggest you consider getting a white noise machine. They are surprisingly effective at blocking noise and can be quite soothing. Example: http://www.soundmachinesdirect.com/

That would at least help you wait out the end of your lease.

Your written noise complaints should go to your landlord, not the condo association.

xylene

Condo board is right.

Call the police.

HOWEVER, don't expect much. 10 pm is NOT very late.

Wyldrush

I know 10PM is not considered late. But the fact I can hear the noise in my livingroom which is 3 rooms down and also have my bedroom door closed at time is the problem. Literally there are times I can not be home because the music or TV is so loud , it is like I am inthe same room and no one will help.
I also know from the maintaince people that cops do not do much either. After about 5 or 6 trips out they may start giving him a written warning but when they finally come and we know cops, can take 1 or 2hrs for this thing the music or tv can be off or low.

I really want out of my lease and need to know if I can get out based on this neighbor which I was not told abouit. How many letters to landlord should I place?

I have a neighbor that loves to blast his TV or radio till about 10PM each day. Since his livingroom is next to my bedroom I can not get rest in that room. I have asked him a few times to lower it and well it does not help. Sometimes he will not even answer the door when I knock since it is so loud so I just go out for awhile and pray.

I rent my unit and have complained to the owners a couple times when I spoke to them about something. They just say. the guy next door is cool, just ask him to lower it. Problem is, the unit I rent was vacant for 2yrs so this guy never had a problem. I sent 3 letters to the board and they reply, all you can do is call police, we are not responsible according to the condo docs.

So would I have grounds to terminate my 12 month lease over the noise issues. I work hard and can not come home and relax in my bed till after 10PM which is not right. I know the condo only allows one lease per 12 months so the unit can not be rented again and lease states if i move early I can be held liable for full 12 months.

Andrew
What is in the Covenants and Restrictions about noise? If you don't have a copy, ask your LL for it. Chances are that is addressed in it.

Wyldrush

I have a copy of the condo docs. Very basic docs about 20 pages. it does not address noisey neighbors, only the times of the day you can do work in the home like remodeling because of noise. After 5PM all rehab work has to stop.

HomeGuru

Andrew
**A: start writing letters to the owner and put the burden on him/her to deal with the problem.

Last edited:

Wyldrush

Well thanks for all the advice. I spoke to an attorney today and for $125 they will write and send a letter RRR to the owner of the unit I rent. The attorney mentioned by law I have the right to live in a peaceful enviroment free of noises and even hearing the tv or stero slightly in my bedroom during normal hours would be a viloation of my rights. The letter is a 7 day letter to terminate my lease unless the landlord fixes the problem permantely which would mean approaching the tenant themselves.
They went on to mention as a tenant I have more rights over a unit owner in this situation since I do not own the unit, it is the owners responsibilities to make sure I feel comfortable which means no noise.

HomeGuru

Well thanks for all the advice. I spoke to an attorney today and for $125 they will write and send a letter RRR to the owner of the unit I rent. The attorney mentioned by law I have the right to live in a peaceful enviroment free of noises and even hearing the tv or stero slightly in my bedroom during normal hours would be a viloation of my rights. The letter is a 7 day letter to terminate my lease unless the landlord fixes the problem permantely which would mean approaching the tenant themselves.
They went on to mention as a tenant I have more rights over a unit owner in this situation since I do not own the unit, it is the owners responsibilities to make sure I feel comfortable which means no noise.
**A: hence my post to you.

VeronicaLodge

so are you prepared to move elsewhere in 7 days? is that the outcome you were looking for?

Wyldrush

I want to move out.. According to attorney even with the 7day to terminate letter, I can still stay longer, such as 2 weeks. The LL still would want rent and I be given reasonable time to look for a new place. I live in SoFl, so the vast majority of places are condos and you need to wait on board approvals which can take 2-4 weeks. But if i needed to move ASAP I can since on Friday the police will be serving evict papers to a tenant of mine in one of my rentals. I just chose not to live in the rental since it is a 40mile right each way to work but if i needed to for a couple weeks I can deal with that.

HomeGuru

I want to move out.. According to attorney even with the 7day to terminate letter, I can still stay longer, such as 2 weeks. The LL still would want rent and I be given reasonable time to look for a new place. I live in SoFl, so the vast majority of places are condos and you need to wait on board approvals which can take 2-4 weeks. But if i needed to move ASAP I can since on Friday the police will be serving evict papers to a tenant of mine in one of my rentals. I just chose not to live in the rental since it is a 40mile right each way to work but if i needed to for a couple weeks I can deal with that.
**A: ok, wishing you luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">