• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Owner rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hadenough

What is the name of your state? Ohio

We have just found a board member (an officer) is not the owner of a unit. This person has signed documents etc... under a false assumption. I believe our bylaws state that board members must be owners and they can only have voting rights. I was just curious if State Condo Laws have any control over this?

HomeGuru

Hadenough said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

We have just found a board member (an officer) is not the owner of a unit. This person has signed documents etc... under a false assumption. I believe our bylaws state that board members must be owners and they can only have voting rights. I was just curious if State Condo Laws have any control over this?

**A: post back when you know for sure what the By-Laws state after reading same.

Hadenough

Sorry, Our Bylaws DO state that the board member and for voting privilages, that the person must own the condo. Should I inquire with the condo's attorneys, (I'm a board member) OR should we get our own attorny and press the issue . I'm actually a little amused, because I threw out a question asking if a sister who lives with me can vote or be in the board, and in their own words they said NO...

justalayman

Well if that is the case and the association has legal counsel already, it seems that the counselor you already have would be a good place to start. That is why the association and resulting board have counsel is it not?

HomeGuru

Hadenough said:
Sorry, Our Bylaws DO state that the board member and for voting privilages, that the person must own the condo. Should I inquire with the condo's attorneys, (I'm a board member) OR should we get our own attorny and press the issue . I'm actually a little amused, because I threw out a question asking if a sister who lives with me can vote or be in the board, and in their own words they said NO...

**A: keep going**************

cburdikoff

You should really get a hold of the by-laws
Ours states that a non-owner CAN be a trustee and sit on the board.
read it through carefully.....

HomeGuru

cburdikoff said:
You should really get a hold of the by-laws
Ours states that a non-owner CAN be a trustee and sit on the board.
read it through carefully.....

**A: did you read the post. It is in the By-Laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">