• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old Broiler - course of action?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daria26

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi:

I own a condo in NJ and have rented it out. The tenants have complained that water takes a while to heat up. There are two reasons for that- condo is on the second floor and the boiler is old.

When I call our HOA office they pretty much told me that there is nothing they can do because the broiler is old. I pay my maintenance fees on time and would like them to do something about the old broiler. What would be the most appropriate course of action? How can I file a grievance/complaint/etc.? Thank you!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi:

I own a condo in NJ and have rented it out. The tenants have complained that water takes a while to heat up. There are two reasons for that- condo is on the second floor and the broiler is old.

When I call our HOA office they pretty much told me that there is nothing they can do because the broiler is old. I pay my maintenance fees on time and would like them to do something about the old broiler. What would be the most appropriate course of action? How can I file a grievance/complaint/etc.? Thank you!
grievance/complaint about what? The boiler (not broiler) is working.

justalayman

how long it takes to get hot water to your unit has nothing to do with the boiler, or the broiler for that matter. The boiler heats the water. As long as it produces hot water, it is basically functioning. How long it takes to get hot water to your unit is a matter of having to wait until the heated water leaving the boiler eventually reaching your unit. What you need is a circulating pump system in the supply delivering heated water to your unit.

don't get all excited though because they are not going to put one in.

if you don't pay for whatever is used to heat the water or the water itself, just leave one of the hot water taps with a slight stream of water (like what many do to avoid a pipe from freezing in the winter).

Dave1952

I do not see any legal recourse. The boiler works and supplies hot water. Have you actually measured the amount of time that it takes to get hot water? Sometimes tenants may be inaccurate.
In large buildings hot water is sometimes supplied through recirculating pumps on each floor. Instead of waiting for the hot to travel up from the basement, you wait for the hot water to travel from a nearby service closet. If your neighboring condos also have a water issue then it's time to consider some recirculating pumps. Bring this up at the next meeting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">