• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of Control Condo Boards

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

niecie2k

Yonkers, NY, (New York State)
I moved into a condo in July of last year and the maintenance was $250. About 6 months later, they raised it to $388 and now they are talking about raising it another $50. I'm not sure what is going on that they have to raise it again. It's either that someone is not managing the money properly or there is corruption. My question is this? In either scenario,why do the owners have to be penalilzed, and further, what type of legislation is there to regulate this. As I see it as a first time condo owner, these boards can do pretty much what they want, without any regard to the owners. Of course, the owners can vote, but we are at the mercy of the majority in these matters. I am a single mother of two and will have to move if they raise it another $50, as this is just not in my budget, but I'm angry because I just do not feel it is fair. What can I do, and what is the law in this scenario?? I'm finding that there needs to be more legislation in regards to this. We are at the mercy of the management company and the board!!!!!

HomeGuru

niecie2k said:
Yonkers, NY, (New York State)
I moved into a condo in July of last year and the maintenance was $250. About 6 months later, they raised it to $388 and now they are talking about raising it another $50. I'm not sure what is going on that they have to raise it again. It's either that someone is not managing the money properly or there is corruption. My question is this? In either scenario,why do the owners have to be penalilzed, and further, what type of legislation is there to regulate this. As I see it as a first time condo owner, these boards can do pretty much what they want, without any regard to the owners. Of course, the owners can vote, but we are at the mercy of the majority in these matters. I am a single mother of two and will have to move if they raise it another $50, as this is just not in my budget, but I'm angry because I just do not feel it is fair. What can I do, and what is the law in this scenario?? I'm finding that there needs to be more legislation in regards to this. We are at the mercy of the management company and the board!!!!!

**A: when you ask them to send you in writing the reason for the increase, and you get their response, post it here.

You Are Guilty

Which part of "majority rules" is new to you? And did you think prices stay the same forever? In case you hadn't noticed, gas, electricity, insurance, etc. all cost money, and over time, they will cost even more money. If you are living someplace where another $50/month will blow your budget, then you can't afford to live there, plain and simple.

Might as well sell now before the bubble bursts and make some money in the deal.

You Are Guilty

FWIW said:
You're comment is ludicrous if not outright obtuse.

If she can afford the current price, then she can afford the current price. It is within her budget, and she can afford to live there.

Apparently the fees have been raised a couple of times. If they continually raise it, there will eventualy be a point to which it begins to put a crimp in some people's pocketbooks. A $1.00 increase in gasoline prices ($50 a month for most people) reduces consumer spending overall by over 10%. Thefore, we can surmise that most American's should ride bicycles.

Just because you happen to **** rose scented $100 bills does not mean that this is the case for the average american.

Then again, not to totally take one side of this issue, anyone who buys property in an HOA needs to have their sanity checked by a competent professional, IMHO.

If you are on a set budget, buy a home that you control where you know pretty much what you will be paying on an ongoing basis. When you turn your affairs over to someone else, you can and will be screwed. It's not a matter of if, but when.

I would take the advice to sell and move. Housing prices will come down, and you can move to a non-HOA dwelling probably for less money than you could 2 years ago.
That's amazing. I've never seen both halves of a split-personality emerge in the same post before. Truly astounding. Oh, and tell the half that agrees with me that his roommate is a dip$hit. Me and my rose-scented $100 bills thank both of you.

You Are Guilty

FWIW said:
I don't think your inexperience on any subject would come as even a minor surprise to anyone.
Hmm, let's take a quick poll. Everyone who is a licensed lawyer, who practices in Co-Op and Condo law, and who is himself has sat on co-op boards raise your hand.

And?

Still waiting...

Oh well, must just be me.

I told him. He let lose with a string of expletives. This incurring the wrath of the HOA Board of Directors. Now we have to pay a $350 "thought crime" fine!
That would imply you actually had a "thought" which, by your posts here, would be quite a stretch to believe.

Really, I think you should pay half. At least $50 of it. What with $50 being expendable and all.
Fail math class much? However, if there was some way to guarantee that you'd never post again, it would be $50 well spent.

Thanks for the laugh guys, I was just starting to get bored reading the same old stuff.....I must admit, a lot of wit in those comebacks to each other

You Are Guilty

Last I heard, the site owner vetted anyone claiming to be an attorney. Now that you have done so, I suspect we shall soon find out the truth to this riddle of the ages. (I'll keep an eye out for that little "guest" under your name).

You Are Guilty

"Still"? I didn't think I was having one before - I guess I had better write some new material :D

The irony (aside from the OP dropping off the face of the earth) is that this isn't even a legal question. It's a "I have no financial sense" question.

You Are Guilty

You seem to be missing the point that I could not care less whether you are a lawyer or a liar. (Although the combination of your reverance for $50 and the abject ridiculousness of your initial response leads me to suspect that if you are an attorney, you must be getting paid about as much as the guy who flips burgers at the deli I eat lunch at).

You Are Guilty

FWIW said:
Translation: "When called to do so, I will not back up my erroneous assertions with anything tangible because I have no confidence that what I say is true. Furthermore, I admit that I am all talk, but I will try to divert attention from this fact by using junveile insults, or by any other means necessary to effectuate the prevention of this discovery. I will also have other members of the group chime in with schoolyard insults to further distract others from realizing that I don't know what I am talking about."

By the way, for the most part ... people who flip burgers are fine, honest, hard working people.
Hmm, which part of "I don't give a rat's ass what you do for a living" is so hard to comprehend? Do I need to translate that into idiot for you? Or maybe I should just call on one of my minions to "chime in with schoolyard insults" (as opposed to what, poolside insults? Waiting in line at the bank insults?) Hell, I didn't even realize they were my minions. (I'm sure they'll be thrilled when they find out though). But did one of them hurt your wittle feelwings? Aww.

You know, if you need $50, all you had to do was ask. (I spend more than that each week just for coffee). Does the asylum let you cash personal checks, or will you be needing a money order? And should I make it out to "Jack Ass" or just "Mr. Ass"?

You Are Guilty

FWIW said:
Ooooh. Bragging about his income to divert from the fact that his "I'm the only Condo Lawyer on these Forums" debacle flopped in gand fashion.
I never used the words "I'm the only Condo Lawyer on these Forums". Defensive, are we?

What no threats this time? Come on man, don't lose you edge.
While I won't lose "me" edge, just which "threats" would you be referring to? Unless you being an idiot is considered a threat, I don't see any.

Hey, want to tell us what kind of car you drive too? How many square feet is your house?
You're the one begging for $50, why don't you enlighten us as to why you feel the need to ask strangers on the internet for money. What happened? Did the rise in gas prices cause some budget problems? Did some mean old HOA raise your common charges by $50 a month and now you have to file bankruptcy? (I suppose that would explain your unhealthy interest in my money).

Neither, you'll be writing a check, not endorsing one.
I know, that's why I asked who you want me to make it out to, you idiot. :rolleyes:

You Are Guilty

Well, you've certainly proven that you're an idiot, good show. Thanks for the day's amusement. If you still need the cash, drop me a PM, I'm all about charity cases.

Shay-Pari'e

Well YAG,

You seem to be getting out screen named here. And he has over 100 IP's. :rolleyes: I'm thinking he must piss people off everywhere he goes on the net. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">