• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Peeping/Threatening HOA Pres

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nuevafemme

Hello from Clark County, Nevada. I live in a townhome with an HOA that I have had very little problems with... save one big one. The president has called me twice now regarding my dogs barking. I acknowledged the issue, accepted responsibility, and said I would willingly pay any fees incurred for the problem. The issue is the way he speaks to me. The first time we spoke, he called me a liar (he said I must be home because he looked in the windows and the tv was on) and told me that "this is why people poison their neighbors' pets." The second time, he accessed an adjoining yard, peeped over the 6ft high fence into my yard and looked into my dining room through the glass doors. He admitted this and accused me of having too many dogs because he thought he could see more inside. He also told me he was going to personally make sure I received the max fine possible and that he would ensure my pets were taken away and they would be euthanized. He insulted me numerous times, saying I must be a poor pet owner and an incapable parent because I "can not care for the animals." He was way over the top and out of line. He has made this very personal. I will pay a fine because there is a chance that it was indeed my dogs (there are at least two more in my four home row) but his behavior is making me very uneasy. I dread running into this man and I wonder if he will continue to peep and try to catch me in something he can fine me for. Please let me know-- is his behavior simply rude, or does it cross over into illegal? He is definitely using his authority to intimidate me and he has threatened my pets twice now. Thoughts? I am worried about retribution if I report his behavior.

nuevafemme

Also, it is worth noting that I have no idea how this man got my phone number, as I have never even MET him in person.

nuevafemme

Both of my interactions with the HOA president have been over the phone, from his personal cell phone number. I do not know if he called the management company to get my number or what, but if he was acting as a representative of the board, his attitude certainly wasn't professional.

HomeGuru

Both of my interactions with the HOA president have been over the phone, from his personal cell phone number. I do not know if he called the management company to get my number or what, but if he was acting as a representative of the board, his attitude certainly wasn't professional.
**A: ok, non profesional attitude.

festival

Nevada law for common interest ownership appears to require a hearing with the board before a fine, and prohibits retaliatory action in some cases. However, I am not from Nevada and not a lawyer. You should read your governing documents for your rights and obligations. Also check out state law, which appears to have protections.

"Nevada...Office of the Ombudsman
The office of the Ombudsman for Owners in Common-Interest Communities and Condominium Hotels was created to assist homeowners and board members in common interest communities to better understand their rights and obligations under the law and their governing documents. "

You might want to talk to other board members and find other dog owners who share your concerns about threats to pets, and other owners who may not want to be surveilled and intimidated.

Why are you volunteering to pay a fine when there is only is a chance that it was indeed your dogs? What set this guy off? How many dogs do you have? How many are allowed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">