• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help! I might be in trouble :(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

r14fun

I'm sorry for the long post. This is my first time I've posted anywhere & I had trouble condensing it.
First, to give you a short background: Our condominium complex in California is in transition. A developer bought & upgraded the majority of units. Most of them are sold & new owners are still moving in. During this time, our property management company took a back seat.

The problem: We developed a feral cat colony after a few renters moved out and abandoned their unneutered cats. Our property management company said there was nothing they could do, the developer ignored the problem, and animal control will not come out to pick them up. Some of us that have been here a few years (including myself) want the cats to stay. At one time, our complex was actually rat infested & the problem has disappeared since we have had cats.

In early January, the few homeowners that were living in our complex met and agreed to a trap, neuter, and return program based on the suggestions from organizations experts that deal with this problem. The program’s success for control & reduction of the colony has been proven by several studies. I posted several notices with explanations, always with a contact number. I gave ample notice for a second meeting with a speaker; only 4 people showed up. The plan was to get the cats neutered, vaccinated & move their shelters, food outside away from our cars, living spaces, etc.

The program was starting to work, the cats were staying away from the people & the cars, until one couple (who attended the meeting) started giving me a hard time to the point of harassment. I can go on about everything they have done but I think it is suffice to say they try to sabotage everything and are managing to incite anger with a lot of the new residents. They have posted notes calling on all homeowners to “hold me accountable, & bring receipts for their cars to our first homeowner’s meeting because cats will be a “high priority”.

The homeowner meeting is in a week & a half. I have asked an officer from animal control and an expert to come speak. My question is this: Do I have a right to have speakers at the meeting on my behalf? I feel as if I’m going to encounter an angry mob. I’m not sure if the property management company will support the extra time.

Thank you for your help,

r14fun

seniorjudge

r14fun said:
I'm sorry for the long post. This is my first time I've posted anywhere & I had trouble condensing it.
First, to give you a short background: Our condominium complex in California is in transition. A developer bought & upgraded the majority of units. Most of them are sold & new owners are still moving in. During this time, our property management company took a back seat.

The problem: We developed a feral cat colony after a few renters moved out and abandoned their unneutered cats. Our property management company said there was nothing they could do, the developer ignored the problem, and animal control will not come out to pick them up. Some of us that have been here a few years (including myself) want the cats to stay. At one time, our complex was actually rat infested & the problem has disappeared since we have had cats.

In early January, the few homeowners that were living in our complex met and agreed to a trap, neuter, and return program based on the suggestions from organizations experts that deal with this problem. The program’s success for control & reduction of the colony has been proven by several studies. I posted several notices with explanations, always with a contact number. I gave ample notice for a second meeting with a speaker; only 4 people showed up. The plan was to get the cats neutered, vaccinated & move their shelters, food outside away from our cars, living spaces, etc.

The program was starting to work, the cats were staying away from the people & the cars, until one couple (who attended the meeting) started giving me a hard time to the point of harassment. I can go on about everything they have done but I think it is suffice to say they try to sabotage everything and are managing to incite anger with a lot of the new residents. They have posted notes calling on all homeowners to “hold me accountable, & bring receipts for their cars to our first homeowner’s meeting because cats will be a “high priority”.

The homeowner meeting is in a week & a half. I have asked an officer from animal control and an expert to come speak. My question is this: Do I have a right to have speakers at the meeting on my behalf? I feel as if I’m going to encounter an angry mob. I’m not sure if the property management company will support the extra time.

Thank you for your help,

r14fun

Read your CCRs and tell us what they say about your questions.

r14fun

re: please help

I have a copy of our CCR's from 1980. I do not think it has been revised since that time. I read through them & it does not say anything specific about bringing speakers or members rights. When I reviewed the California's homeowner's bill of rights, I was wondering if CC 1363.05 stating "allow owners a reasonable time to speak at board and annual meetings" or CORP 7341 "Provide a reasonable hearing process when considering discipline of a member" might help with my legal right to bring speakers in this case.

Incidently, when I reviewed California's homeowner's bill of rights, our association was in violation of several of the codes. I've only received two financial statements in the last 11 years. I've never received a copy of the minutes or notice relating to association insurance coverage. When our management company refused to act on damage I suffered from a roof leak, they refused to give me a membership list with the name of the board members, etc. That is why I feel that i may need to quote a specific code for them to let me bring speakers.

Thanks again,

r14fun

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">