• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plumbing problem not disclosed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sjwats

What is the name of your state? Illinois

We bought a condo 15 months ago. The plumbing leaks in the condo below us. This was not disclosed when we bought the condo, but I'm sure the management co and some tenants knew about it. Property manager mentioned on the phone to my contractor it's been going on for 15 years, and the tenants below didn't have a problem before we moved in because the previous owner (deceased), never used the bathroom, but they did know it existed. Strangely he used the 2nd one which has no shower and is not the main bathroom, and not very nice. (it's an older building)
There isn't a problem yet, insurance covered the demolition, mgmt pays for the plumbing. But they're now finding it to be bigger than initially thought, and I expect it could start hitting my bank account as they've now opened a big hole in the wall in the kids room, for starters.

Should we be responsible in any way for this if insurance doesn't cover our responsibility?

Thank you

seniorjudge

sjwats said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

We bought a condo 15 months ago. The plumbing leaks in the condo below us. This was not disclosed when we bought the condo, but I'm sure the management co and some tenants knew about it. Property manager mentioned on the phone to my contractor it's been going on for 15 years, and the tenants below didn't have a problem before we moved in because the previous owner (deceased), never used the bathroom, but they did know it existed. Strangely he used the 2nd one which has no shower and is not the main bathroom, and not very nice. (it's an older building)
There isn't a problem yet, insurance covered the demolition, mgmt pays for the plumbing. But they're now finding it to be bigger than initially thought, and I expect it could start hitting my bank account as they've now opened a big hole in the wall in the kids room, for starters.

Should we be responsible in any way for this if insurance doesn't cover our responsibility?

Thank you

Demolition? What do you mean?

In any event, if you can PROVE that the sellers knew about this but said nothing before the sale, you may have a case.

Hire a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">