• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Management fine for "not following instruction" or "move out on week end"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leonnoel

Property Management fine for "not following instruction" or "move out on week end"

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Thank you for this great forum.
I am dealing with a property management after we moved out boxes last Sunday.

During the week we approached a doorman and asked what are the rules. he kindly responded we can move boxes at any time using the provided materials.
We did so. now at the end of the moving the doorman complained to the building management and now they are giving us a fine !

The building is a co-op and my family owns the place we were staying in.

What would you advise we do here ? Is it worth a case ? should we do a petition ?

thank you for your help and your time.

leonnoel

Documents

Hi All,

As I reviewed the letter send by the property management, it appear that it does not match the fine reason given.
The letter mentions noise etc and nothing about moving out.

I am now thinking that it could be raised to a court and the fine would be dismissed.
Can you please advise what document do I need to fill to open a case ?

thank you

swalsh411

So you agreed to pay the fine. I'm not sure what sort of recourse you think you might have seeing as how you willingly handed over money. You won't be able to sucessfully sue them because they will just show the Judge your check with your signature and unless you can prove some kind of duress (like they were holding your property and wouldn't release until you paid) that will be the end of it.

If this property management company has a head office you might try a complaint with them.

Why did you pay a fine you didn't think you owed? Most people would refuse to pay and then wait to be sued.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">