• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about co op and

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catlvr976

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I was wondering about something pertaining to co op's.

I left at the end of July, needed to be out by Aug 1 after giving them written notice and asking for an extension due to my new place not being ready yet. I just heard from them on the 26th regarding charges that need to be done as far as repairs are concerned.

They are charging me for things such as replacing my bathroom floor (there was nothing wrong with it when I left, never any water damage that I was aware of) replacing the pumps on my screen doors, painting my old bedroom that I don't remember had anything wrong with the walls, that I need to fix my tub (the enamel or whatever it is was peeling and was like that when I moved there), and that they were going to charge me for removing my carpeting---which they did not do and my old neighbor (who is moving into my old apartment and told me before I left that she wanted that carpeting to stay, the office was informed of this) has verified this. When I questioned the lady in the office, she says, oh, well, maybe it is still in there, I don't really know. Then why are they charging me for things that they don't even know have been done?

I saw online that there is a law (I guess you can call it that) that says that in a landlord/tenant situation, that they have only 30 days to inform you of damages you are responsible for, and if they fail to do that, they forfeit any right to your money. I realize that I lived in a co op and really have no idea if this even applies in this situation.

The money was money that I paid in order to buy in to the place when I moved in there.

I guess I'm just wondering, what consitutes normal wear and tear or do I just suck it up and pay. I'm just really questioning now after I found out that they didn't remove my carpeting but were more than happy to take that charge from me.

Thank you kindly in advance!

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I was wondering about something pertaining to co op's.

I left at the end of July, needed to be out by Aug 1 after giving them written notice and asking for an extension due to my new place not being ready yet. I just heard from them on the 26th regarding charges that need to be done as far as repairs are concerned.

They are charging me for things such as replacing my bathroom floor (there was nothing wrong with it when I left, never any water damage that I was aware of) replacing the pumps on my screen doors, painting my old bedroom that I don't remember had anything wrong with the walls, that I need to fix my tub (the enamel or whatever it is was peeling and was like that when I moved there), and that they were going to charge me for removing my carpeting---which they did not do and my old neighbor (who is moving into my old apartment and told me before I left that she wanted that carpeting to stay, the office was informed of this) has verified this. When I questioned the lady in the office, she says, oh, well, maybe it is still in there, I don't really know. Then why are they charging me for things that they don't even know have been done?

I saw online that there is a law (I guess you can call it that) that says that in a landlord/tenant situation, that they have only 30 days to inform you of damages you are responsible for, and if they fail to do that, they forfeit any right to your money. I realize that I lived in a co op and really have no idea if this even applies in this situation.

The money was money that I paid in order to buy in to the place when I moved in there.

I guess I'm just wondering, what consitutes normal wear and tear or do I just suck it up and pay. I'm just really questioning now after I found out that they didn't remove my carpeting but were more than happy to take that charge from me.

Thank you kindly in advance!
**A: please repost in the correct forum as this is a landlord tenant issue.

catlvr976

Sorry!! I just saw the title of condos and co-ops and I figured since it was a co-op I was dealing with, I'd put it here. I will repost. Sorry!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">