• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question RE: mold

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Meowis

What is the name of your state? California

I recently had a water leak under my kitchen sink which lasted for approx. two weeks. I had a large vase under the leak at all times collecting the dripping water. I have no damage to the wood under my sink, no holes. The leak has since been repaired but now I am receiving threatening letters from the neighbors right below me stating that I caused damage to their home. I do not dispute that there is a water stain on their ceiling which I am willing to help repair and pay for using "Kilz" which is a canned mold/stain removal spray as I understand. But they want to have a mold inspection done inside the ceiling because they are trying to sell their condo. Is this necessary? Is is possible that my leak could have caused toxic mold and can I be held liable at any time? They want me to sign something stating that I agree that I am to be responsible in the future should any mold, dry rot, or other issues arise. I am not signing this particular letter but what should I do?

Happy Trails

Meowis said:
What is the name of your state? California

I recently had a water leak under my kitchen sink which lasted for approx. two weeks. I had a large vase under the leak at all times collecting the dripping water. I have no damage to the wood under my sink, no holes. The leak has since been repaired but now I am receiving threatening letters from the neighbors right below me stating that I caused damage to their home. I do not dispute that there is a water stain on their ceiling which I am willing to help repair and pay for using "Kilz" which is a canned mold/stain removal spray as I understand. But they want to have a mold inspection done inside the ceiling because they are trying to sell their condo. Is this necessary? Is is possible that my leak could have caused toxic mold and can I be held liable at any time? They want me to sign something stating that I agree that I am to be responsible in the future should any mold, dry rot, or other issues arise. I am not signing this particular letter but what should I do?
Kilz is a product that hides stains; it has no moldicidal capabilities in it at all.

I can see their concern, as they are going to be selling and do not want the new owner to come after them for this problem.

Your leaking sink, could have caused the problem even though you do not see damage to your area. It should be easy enough to prove if the leak you had, created the problem. Whether or not there is toxic mold present, having it tested should give you that answer.

Are you liable? They didn't create this problem, your leak did. So you should have to pay to remedy the problem, not just offer to help repair it.

Could this be something your homeowner's insurance would cover?

Informational links:

http://www.mcsenvironmental.com/
http://www.certifiedmoldinspectionsinc.com/faqs.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxic_mold

Meowis

What is your expertise? How can it be proven that my leak caused mold? Mold is present in homes/condos all the time, I find it very hard to believe that the place was free of mold until a tiny little drip came along for a very short period of time. My question is can I be held liable in the future after I have already remedied the current problem?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">