• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RE agent on condo board?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

limbodog

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

158 units. 5 member board that has apparently been entrenched for about 20 years.

One of the board members sells condos here, is an absentee landlord, and is on the board of trustees.

To me this seems like a conflict of interest. He's in a position to use his power as a board member for the purpose of selling condos. (like making life hell for a resident who might not make a sale as easy, but isn't violating any rules etc.)

I did talk to a lawyer from NY who says he believes it is a real conflict of interest, but he didn't want to go on record as he doesn't practice in MA.

I'm going to assume it's real.

Any suggestions as to what I can do? I'm rather poor (especially with the fines) and I doubt I could afford to engage in a lengthy battle. But is there a way to contact the RE licencing board or somesuch? Get them to take a look? Or perhaps the state somehow?

I could use some good advice if anyone has any.

PghREA

If you have a complaint against this board member, I think you will need to sue him and prove that he is using his position in an unethical way. How did he get on the board - was he elected, appointed or there because he owns a percented of the building?

You Are Guilty

Check the CC&R's to see if they permit an absentee landlord to serve on the Board. Often, the rules require that only actual resident be eligible to serve.

In the meantime, you may want to change lawyers, a realtor on the Board is not illegal in NY either.

HomeGuru

limbodog said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

158 units. 5 member board that has apparently been entrenched for about 20 years.

One of the board members sells condos here, is an absentee landlord, and is on the board of trustees.

To me this seems like a conflict of interest. He's in a position to use his power as a board member for the purpose of selling condos. (like making life hell for a resident who might not make a sale as easy, but isn't violating any rules etc.)

I did talk to a lawyer from NY who says he believes it is a real conflict of interest, but he didn't want to go on record as he doesn't practice in MA.

I'm going to assume it's real.

Any suggestions as to what I can do? I'm rather poor (especially with the fines) and I doubt I could afford to engage in a lengthy battle. But is there a way to contact the RE licencing board or somesuch? Get them to take a look? Or perhaps the state somehow?

I could use some good advice if anyone has any.
**A: there is nothing illegal here although there may be a conflict depending upon the actual circumstances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">