• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renegotiating Condo Purchase Price after Signing Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smonie

I was one of the first buyers in a condo conversion building (that I used to rent in). Naturally, the tenants got right of first refusal, but no other incentives to buy. I decided to purchase a unit and put a 5% earnest money deposit in November. Now that the condo market is cooling off, I find that the developer has sold only 20 out of 150 units, and is offering all kinds of incentives for people to sign, including a substantial drop in prices. Further, we were initially told that investors and brokers were not allowed, but now they are advertising them as allowed.

Do I have any chance of renogotiating my purchase price, with the threat of walking away from my earnest money deposit if need be ? As a seller, would they have enough incentive to not have my deal fall through and negotiate with me ? Do I have any legal basis for breaking my contract based on the above information ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

HomeGuru

smonie said:
I was one of the first buyers in a condo conversion building (that I used to rent in). Naturally, the tenants got right of first refusal, but no other incentives to buy. I decided to purchase a unit and put a 5% earnest money deposit in November. Now that the condo market is cooling off, I find that the developer has sold only 20 out of 150 units, and is offering all kinds of incentives for people to sign, including a substantial drop in prices. Further, we were initially told that investors and brokers were not allowed, but now they are advertising them as allowed.

Do I have any chance of renogotiating my purchase price, with the threat of walking away from my earnest money deposit if need be ? As a seller, would they have enough incentive to not have my deal fall through and negotiate with me ? Do I have any legal basis for breaking my contract based on the above information ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
**A: Most likely no for all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">