• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responsibility for New Roof

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Raphaelhom

What is the name of your state? California Condo

My association has given me permission to re-roof my portion of the townhouse and 1/3 of my neighbors. Now they threatened to take off my roof, because I failed to get a warentee on the work. To get them to leave my roof alone so I wouldn't have to pay for a 2nd roof, I reluctantly signed a lifetime indemnification stating I would be responsible for my roof and the neighbors. Does this notarized document really mean that I am responsible for my roof, or should I ignore it? How can I get them to declare the notarized statement null and void? Is there a case law that deals with a single owner having responsibility for a common area such as a roof?

HomeGuru

Raphaelhom said:
What is the name of your state? California Condo

My association has given me permission to re-roof my portion of the townhouse and 1/3 of my neighbors. Now they threatened to take off my roof, because I failed to get a warentee on the work. To get them to leave my roof alone so I wouldn't have to pay for a 2nd roof, I reluctantly signed a lifetime indemnification stating I would be responsible for my roof and the neighbors. Does this notarized document really mean that I am responsible for my roof, or should I ignore it? How can I get them to declare the notarized statement null and void? Is there a case law that deals with a single owner having responsibility for a common area such as a roof?

**A: you're kidding right? You are on the hook. It's a very simple concept.

HomeGuru

Raphaelhom said:
so you mean, the HOA CAN in fact give responsibility for a common area to an individual owner in pepetuity?

**A: on the contrary, YOU were the one that gave the indemnification. And not for perpetuity but for a lifetime. READ what you signed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">