• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seller died, probate expected, will co-op sell

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

go22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new york

hello,
a co-op owner friend just died unexpectedly while having his co-op listed for sale with a realtor and signed a 3 month sales contract of which has about 1 1/2 months left on the contract.

he also left a will, but co-op unit was solely in his name as shareholder, so i assume it will go to probate, but i heard if a co-op seller dies that the probate court instructs the cooperative board to show and try to sell the apartment at the seller/realtor asking price, and if it does not sell for that asking price, then the co-operative will buy back the unit at the seller's asking price and the check will be given to the sellers beneficiary son.

is this true, and thanks for any replies.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new york

hello,
a co-op owner friend just died unexpectedly while having his co-op listed for sale with a realtor and signed a 3 month sales contract of which has about 1 1/2 months left on the contract.

he also left a will, but co-op unit was solely in his name as shareholder, so i assume it will go to probate, but i heard if a co-op seller dies that the probate court instructs the cooperative board to show and try to sell the apartment at the seller/realtor asking price, and if it does not sell for that asking price, then the co-operative will buy back the unit at the seller's asking price and the check will be given to the sellers beneficiary son.

is this true, and thanks for any replies.
**A: I do not think that is true but then again I do not live in New York.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">