• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seller's disclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AtlBill

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I'm wondering what the seller's legal responsibility is when it comes to full disclosure on the seller's disclosure form. When I purchased my condo, it was not disclosed on this form, or anywhere else, that there were major repairs needed on the attached parking garage. Since moving in and attending hoa meetings I've learned that in the next 5-6 months we are going to have to pretty much rebuild the entire structure which is going to result in a substantial one-time assessment to cover the costs. My realtor and I also asked the seller and his realtor in person if there were any major issues that we needed to be aware of - both said no. After speaking to the president of the HOA, he said that there is no way that anyone living here for more than 1 year would not be aware of the issue due to it being such a major, and long-standing issue. So my question is: Do I have any legal grounds to go back to the seller since this was a very well known pre-existing condition and was not disclosed on the seller's disclosure form?

Thanks in advance for your response,
Bill

HomeGuru

AtlBill said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

I'm wondering what the seller's legal responsibility is when it comes to full disclosure on the seller's disclosure form. When I purchased my condo, it was not disclosed on this form, or anywhere else, that there were major repairs needed on the attached parking garage. Since moving in and attending hoa meetings I've learned that in the next 5-6 months we are going to have to pretty much rebuild the entire structure which is going to result in a substantial one-time assessment to cover the costs. My realtor and I also asked the seller and his realtor in person if there were any major issues that we needed to be aware of - both said no. After speaking to the president of the HOA, he said that there is no way that anyone living here for more than 1 year would not be aware of the issue due to it being such a major, and long-standing issue. So my question is: Do I have any legal grounds to go back to the seller since this was a very well known pre-existing condition and was not disclosed on the seller's disclosure form?

Thanks in advance for your response,
Bill

**A: why did (you and) your Realtor "ask in person", instead of following the proper protocol and request the disclosure in writing?

AtlBill

We did get those disclosures - someone would be crazy not to - that's why I'm asking if I have any legal rights since he did not disclose in that written seller's disclosure about the pending lawsuit surrounding the structural issues with the parking garage.

Thanks

HomeGuru

AtlBill said:
We did get those disclosures - someone would be crazy not to - that's why I'm asking if I have any legal rights since he did not disclose in that written seller's disclosure about the pending lawsuit surrounding the structural issues with the parking garage.

Thanks

**A: it is debateable since you could have inquired with the HOA on your own before closing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">