• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling a condo. We are being forced to pay something we dont agree with.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

palmettoclub

What is the name of your state? FL
We are in the process of selling a condo we have owned for 10 years. The association has sent the title company an estoppel letter which reflects a balance due to them by us for $400 for damages done to a callbox located at the entrance to our community. This callbox was hit on many occassions by FEDEX trucks, other owners, moving trucks, etc..in some cases the police was called out. The day we moved out 1997, my husband did nick the callbox with the truck. The callbox is enclosed in a heavyduty metal box and was on a pedestal. The only damage done to the box by us was that the pedestal was slightly tilted rather than completely upright. The callbox "did" work 100%.

No one saw us hit the callbox but we thought we would do the right thing and approached the then president and advised him.....he said, dont worry about it. Anyway, several months later the association had a new board and a callbox that did not work. I guess they figured since we no longer lived there, they would charge us for the repairs.

We did receive a letter, we did consent to hitting the box but also stated the box did work after we hit it, plus it had been hit by many others and felt that we should not solely be responsible for the repairs. We never heard a thing again until now.

Am I responsible for damage to the common grounds. Dont they have to sue me and prove that I am 100% responsible for the damage? Can they legally force me to pay this at closing? Is there a statute of limitations in which they must collect? Its been 9 years.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

PghREA

palmettoclub said:
What is the name of your state? F

Am I responsible for damage to the common grounds. Dont they have to sue me and prove that I am 100% responsible for the damage? Can they legally force me to pay this at closing? Is there a statute of limitations in which they must collect? Its been 9 years.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
I think I would let them prove that one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">