• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling off a few shares in NY house requires timeshare prospectus?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

philster123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I want to buy a vacation home and sell off a few shares of it, for a modest profit. NYS Law says selling interests in a home (fractionalizing) to more than 2 people requires a full timeshare plan. I wrote to AG asking if I could get "no action letter" since most timeshares have 1000s of interests (52 weeks x # units), not 4. Response was no- that no action letters are not avail for timeshares. I wanted to do a simple "Tenants in Common" with a comprehensive usage agreement, but now seems like I'll need a lawyer to draft a 200 page prospectus so I can sell 3 or 4 interests off in a single house. Any easier solutions than a 6 month delay and a $50k legal fee on a single home? Or am I high on that $50k number? Will simply be assigned weeks to each owner- same ea year, and no financing on house itself. Finding people in advance to buy together, rather than me buying and then selling shares to them, is possible but unlikely- would that avoid issue? I didn't ask AG that. Thanks

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">