• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Senior community rule infractions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cabbie

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire
We live in an over 55 community where both our condo docs and our town state that no one under that age may reside for more than 22 days a year. For over a year now, our neighbors have had two children in their twenties living with them. We, as well as other people, have informed our management company and directors several times of this infraction. Our management company even asked us to record all comings and goings which we did for over two months. To date management and directors state their hands are tied because this family denies they are breaking the rules. We don't want to confont these people directly because we are concerned for our safety. Any suggestions?What is the name of your state?

danno6925

I don't get it

What concerns for your safety are there?

Have these kids threatened you with bodily harm? - If so, call the cops and have them arrested!
Do they drive like maniacs when you or others are on/near the road? if so, call the cops, and have them ticketed!
Are they making your life so miserable that you can't possibly enjoy you're retirement? Talk to your neighbor (not the kids) and voice your concerns in a calm and quiet manner.

It sounds like you don't want to "stir things up" but you want to get your way. Can't have it both ways, Cabbie. Talk to them nicely, and ask the neighbor things like, "gosh, your kids sure do love coming over to visit. How often do you see them?" If she says they live there, listen for the excuse - it might just give you a better understanding of where they're coming from. If you still aren't satisfied - and I suspect you won't be - file a form grievance in writing with your condo owners association via certified mail.

jonmichael

Follow-up question

I know this is not the case, but what if the twenty-somethings are not actually living there? What if they are just "visiting a lot." Can there be legal restrictions against visitors, even just guests, in a 55+ building? We have a property in a 55+ building and have been told that we cannot have guests sleep over. Thanks.

nextwife

Are they parked overnight on consecutive evenings more than 22 nights in a row? If, for example, they live on-campus and stay at their parent's place two weekends a month, are they "residing" there, or visiting? Is there a definantion of what qualifies one as a resident?

Example: while my parent was terminally ill, I was consistantly parked at their condo, often until late, but I have my own home and family and most definately was NOT residing there.

Cabbie

My concerns regarding my safety are that we are elderly and I don't quite know how the under 55 people living next door to us will react if they find out that we were one of the people who reported them. They apparently don't have any qualms about breaking rules, therefore, we worry about something being done to our property. They have definitely stayed overnight for actually a year now and when this was addressed to the owner, she continues to deny everything. In fact, a reliable source told us that these children tried to use the address next door for car registrations but were denied because they were not over 55. Right now we plan to sell our townhouse and feel that this issue has to be resolved beforehand. As requested by management, I continue to record comings and goings. They (management) recently told me that they are going to a lawyer with this along with several other unknown to us issues they have with this particular owner. If this doesn't solve things, we plan to hire someone ourselves but as money is tight, we'd rather not. Does this sound foolish???Cabbie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">