• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Smoking in condo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flyanaconda

What is the name of your state (PA)

Hello,
my neighbors downstairs have smoked outside of their unit and their smoke is coming into my unit through the widows. I cannot breath.
I'm very sensitive to cigarette smoke and getting headache, nausea, dizziness, etc.
I asked them once to respect my comfort and health, but was harassed.
I sent the complaint letter to the condo manager and waiting for his action. However, I’m not sure if something could be done regarding this problem, because they are smoking on their property.
But they are poisoning and killing me!

I need an advice what I could do about, if I need a lawyer, etc.

Thank you

What is the name of your state (PA)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (PA)

Hello,
my neighbors downstairs have smoked outside of their unit and their smoke is coming into my unit through the widows. I cannot breath.
I'm very sensitive to cigarette smoke and getting headache, nausea, dizziness, etc.
I asked them once to respect my comfort and health, but was harassed.
I sent the complaint letter to the condo manager and waiting for his action. However, I’m not sure if something could be done regarding this problem, because they are smoking on their property.
But they are poisoning and killing me!

I need an advice what I could do about, if I need a lawyer, etc.

**A: hire a smoking gun condo law attorney.

CraigFL

I'm not sure of your setup but the only way the smoke is not going to drift into your unit is to have some kind of positive pressure inside that makes the air flow out. Maybe you can install some kind of fan that pulls air in from the other side and flows out thru the windows where the smoker is. I doubt if you have any second hand smoke laws on your side.

flyanaconda

Thank you, guys.:)
I'll try to find a lawyer.
Until then, I'm going to use a very stinky spray to "refresh" the air outside while they are smoking. They won't like it for sure, and it will keep it away from my door.
This action doesn't look illegal to me. I can do on my balcony whatever I want and not my fault if they have the problem with the smell. :D

Alex23

Have you contacted the neighbors about this? Did they refuse to change their behavior? What are the condo rules?

flyanaconda

Have you contacted the neighbors about this? Did they refuse to change their behavior? What are the condo rules?

Unfortunately, condo rules don't tell anything about smoking, only about "respecting comfort"
However, PA ban smoking was approved in June and I hope it could help.

Yeah, I asked them and was trying explain they live among people. But I got free Jerry Springer's show back. They behaved exactly. :D
It is the only fun in this situation.
I know that I'm f*** bitch, they promised to break my windows, my car, kill me, etc., etc. :p

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Thank you, guys.:)
I'll try to find a lawyer.
Until then, I'm going to use a very stinky spray to "refresh" the air outside while they are smoking. They won't like it for sure, and it will keep it away from my door.
This action doesn't look illegal to me. I can do on my balcony whatever I want and not my fault if they have the problem with the smell. :D
So, you don't have problems with a 'stinky' spray, but you have problems with cigarette smoke? :confused: Burn some candles instead. They'll help kill the smoke smell.

Alex23

That's just intolerable. Next time I want to see a video titled "I asked my neighbors not to smoke under my balcony and this was their response". You can get the audio before you get them on video. They won't be so cheeky if they know you're recording them. The cops won't like it, either, especially the death threats.

Or is PA one of those weird states where you can't record other people?

flyanaconda

So, you don't have problems with a 'stinky' spray, but you have problems with cigarette smoke?
Of course I have. But I have to shut windows anyway, while they are having fun. There are 6 people tonight and ALL of them are smoking. All my unit is stinky now!
If I cannot live well, I'll try to destroy they fun too. Bad? Maybe. But non-smoking people would understand my feeling.
You just feel poisoned in a couple minutes.:(

Last edited:

Roo

That's unfortunate. They're on their property and they're smoking outside? What would you have them do, aside from not smoking?

flyanaconda

That's unfortunate. They're on their property and they're smoking outside? What would you have them do, aside from not smoking?
I have read somewhere, there is rule in some appartments and condo - smoking no closer than 30 feet away from a building.
As well, condo association could ban smoking at balconies and courtyards...

Anyway, I have found the attorney and he is going to help. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">