• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Special Assessment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

afaris

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

So, I just purchased a condo on March 25th. What I was told today, the 27th, was that a 400$ assessment is due. The seller was given formal notification of this assessment on March 23rd (It is due at the beginning of May), but gave me no information on it prior to closing.

Am I correct in that this assessment would fall on the seller?

Thank you for any help/direction.

nextwife

How did the condo association letter, closing prorations and credits on the closing statement address this? Often, deperding on contract language, a buyer is given a credit on the closing statement for the sellers prorated portion.

Last edited:

afaris

It does show a proration of 25 dollars for 3/25-3/21. However it is showing that as an amount I paid the seller. This email officially came out on the 26th, indicating the assessment would be needed. I had signed an RPD stating that I had knowledge that there were issues with leaks in some of the other condo units, but none existed in mine. What he didn't tell me, however, was that there was an email describing the legal costs and the potential for an upcoming special assessment.

He has stated I can no longer contact except through an attorney. Is this worth pursuing?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">