• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Special assessment - urgent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raj3001

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi,

I pay maintenance fees for condo that I own and have never been late in the last 10 yrs. However they also charged some one time special assessment which I did not get notified for. They claim to send me mail for this, but I did not receive it. Now I came to know about it and I am willing to clear and pay off the amount. However meanwhile, they also filed special civil for it, which I did not know. So once I clear the amount, they are also asking for legal fees. It is already such a sudden large burden to pay this assessment so can I ask them to waive the legal fees, is there a way to do this. If they had notified me sooner I would have paid the balance right away. Please help, how best to resolve this situation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi,

I pay maintenance fees for condo that I own and have never been late in the last 10 yrs. However they also charged some one time special assessment which I did not get notified for. They claim to send me mail for this, but I did not receive it. Now I came to know about it and I am willing to clear and pay off the amount. However meanwhile, they also filed special civil for it, which I did not know. So once I clear the amount, they are also asking for legal fees. It is already such a sudden large burden to pay this assessment so can I ask them to waive the legal fees, is there a way to do this. If they had notified me sooner I would have paid the balance right away. Please help, how best to resolve this situation.
Yes, you can ask. Contact the person that is asking for the money and ask.

raj3001

re:

thanks for the response

what is considered reasonable attorney fees here....the fees they are asking is almost the same as the amount due. How do I negotiate this down? to possibly zero. The association did not notify me and went on to file the complaint

Also, do I need to answer the complaint or I can directly file a notice of motion to dismiss, without filing an answer?

954Rental

I would ask them for proof of mailing, also they should have contacted you by phone or email and mail again if they were going to add legal fees. I would ask them to add a second address if you don't live there and also ask them to send all notices by email as well as snail mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">