• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Store Units

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimborugby729

When I purchased my unit in my co-op I was able to purchase a storage unit from a previous tenant. Storage units within the building were originally available for purchase, so transfer from one share holder to another was legal. The association has decided to add more storage units as a leasing opportunity. They are now attempting to force those who already own storage units to lease them as well. This seems highly illogical as we have already paid for this storage unit, but now have to pay for a lease on it as well. Please let me know if anyone has any information about this, I would like to bring it up at the board meeting later on next month. Thanks.

acmb05

jimborugby729 said:
When I purchased my unit in my co-op I was able to purchase a storage unit from a previous tenant. Storage units within the building were originally available for purchase, so transfer from one share holder to another was legal. The association has decided to add more storage units as a leasing opportunity. They are now attempting to force those who already own storage units to lease them as well. This seems highly illogical as we have already paid for this storage unit, but now have to pay for a lease on it as well. Please let me know if anyone has any information about this, I would like to bring it up at the board meeting later on next month. Thanks.
If at first they offered them for sale and you bought it they cannot then turn around after the fact and say you have to pay rent for it also. Even if you bought it from the previous owner.

That would be like selling a car and telling the person who bought it that he has to now lease it from you also.

HomeGuru

jimborugby729 said:

**A: there may be more to this story. Was the previous storage unit sales approved in writing by the coop?

acmb05

HomeGuru said:
**A: there may be more to this story. Was the previous storage unit sales approved in writing by the coop?
I took it they were by this statement she made.

jimborugby729 said:
Storage units within the building were originally available for purchase, so transfer from one share holder to another was legal.

You Are Guilty

Simple answer - if the proprietary lease gives you rights to the storage room, then you "own" in and cannot be forced to lease it. (Or if a similar document exists with respect to the storage room only).

On the other hand, if these rooms were purchased/transferred without paperwork, then the answer whether you can be foreced to lease them is a definate "maybe".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">