• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subfloor Leveling for Hardwood Installation - HOA Responsibility or Owner?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glkaiser

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

We recently received approval from our condo board to install hardwood floors. Started the project by ripping up the carpet and tiles to reveal a plywood subfloor that is not level enough to install hardwood on. 80% of the floor area either needs to be filled or sanded in order to make a level enough surface. The quote to have this done is more than $2,000.

Condo Association defines the subfloor as part of the Common Elements. Should the HOA be responsible for the cost to level the floors, or are we stuck with it? We would not have gone through with the project had we known about this extra expense. But, it would cost close to as much to have carpet put back in and return our hardwood (with the restocking fee). We are going forward with the leveling and hardwood either way.

I haven't submitted an official request to the board to pay for the work yet. But, an inquiry to the management company resulted in them telling us they'd need to consult with counsel for a definitive answer, but that we are likely responsible for the expense. I don't want to have to pay for it, but wondering if this is even worth pursuing.

sandyclaus

We recently received approval from our condo board to install hardwood floors. Started the project by ripping up the carpet and tiles to reveal a plywood subfloor that is not level enough to install hardwood on. 80% of the floor area either needs to be filled or sanded in order to make a level enough surface. The quote to have this done is more than $2,000.

Condo Association defines the subfloor as part of the Common Elements. Should the HOA be responsible for the cost to level the floors, or are we stuck with it? We would not have gone through with the project had we known about this extra expense. But, it would cost close to as much to have carpet put back in and return our hardwood (with the restocking fee). We are going forward with the leveling and hardwood either way.

I haven't submitted an official request to the board to pay for the work yet. But, an inquiry to the management company resulted in them telling us they'd need to consult with counsel for a definitive answer, but that we are likely responsible for the expense. I don't want to have to pay for it, but wondering if this is even worth pursuing.
I'm wondering why the HOA should be made to pay for something that is perfectly fine just as it is for the purpose for which it was originally intended?

The HOA didn't need the subfloor to be perfectly level to install carpet upon it. The original installation was fine for that. The problem you have now is that you want to IMPROVE upon the installation in order to put in hardwood floors.

The subfloor isn't damaged or defective, it just doesn't suit your needs now that you want to improve the flooring in your condo. So why should the HOA have to pay for your improvements?

LdiJ

Lets break it down....

You purchased the condo with carpeting, and the subfloor was appropriate for a condo that was being carpeted. You decided that you preferred hardwood floors and did not do any testing/checking before you purchased the hardwood and tore up all of the carpeting/tiles, in order to determine if hardwood flooring would work with your subfloor. The HOA is responsible for REPAIRS to the subfloor and for its structural integrity. However, this is not a repair or problem with structural integrity. Its a necessity in order to change the flooring to your preference for hardwood.

If you purchased a single family home that was carpeted, and decided you wanted hardwood floors, and did the same, would you be able to sue the seller because the subfloors were not suitable for hardwood floors without extra cost? NO, you would not be able to do so. Therefore I don't think that you can force the HOA to be responsible either.

Now, if I were in your shoes I would be talking to other installers to make sure that what you are being told about your subfloor is the truth, and not a ploy on the part of the installer to get extra money out of you, but other than that, I think its your responsibility. I also would consider renting a sander and doing the work myself to make the subfloor smooth enough for hardwood...if its really necessary.

glkaiser

Fair enough, and that is about as I figured. I'm certainly no expert on these things and again was just looking to find out if this was something worth pursuing or not. From your two comments, sounds like this should just be something we suck it up and pay for (or do the work ourselves or get another quote, etc...).

Appreciate the feedback.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">