• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax & Maintenance question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

user44

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I'm in Bergen County, NJ. A condo was purchased (all paid) by a relative over 6 years ago. His and mine name were put in as co-owners. I did not pay anything towards the cost of the condo. Since day 1 I have paid all the taxes and maintenance, he has not paid anything. The relative is not a US citizen (unlike me), doesn't have an EIN/SSN, and actually doesn't reside in US.

I'm trying to move but he won't agree to selling the condo and compensating me (at all). At this point, besides just walking away, and stop paying maintenance/tax, what can I do to force him to pay his share of the taxes and/or maintenance? Can a lien be put on his name, so that when he visits the US, some action will be taken?

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

festival

It sounds like you got a pretty good deal to live there for six years and only pay taxes and maintenance fees, but no rent and no mortgage payment. Why do you think he should compensate you?

user44

The long back story is that it was family's money that was supposed to have been mine. The person won't let me sell the place (need his OK as the co-owner) and won't compensate me for my part (again see previous sentence). I can't just walk away from the property (tax and maintenance liability). If I am going to be forced to rent it out I want to know what my options are for going after him (for non-payment of taxes/maintenance as the co-owner).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">