• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tennant neighbors making us crazy!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mysfyt

What is the name of your state? NY

I have lived in my upstairs 1 bedroom condo for 8 years and owned it for nearly 7. The unit below mine has always been rented out by the owners. I have never had any complaint about any of their tennants, until now.

My husband and I have been dealing with disturbance and disrespect for the past year. The current tennants are repeatedly slamming doors (so hard that our pictures fall off the wall,) blasting their home theatre system, blasting their car stereo so loud that the bass is rattling our windows and we can't even hear our own tv, revving their new mustang's engine for several minutes to attract neighborhood kids (who "oooh" and "ahhh,") parking their vehicle backwards with the tailpipes (dual exhaust) facing the building, (which is not only against our Rules & Regulations, but is also a SERIOUS health threat with open windows or A/C vents in the area.) They also store their charcoal grill under our wood deck (another Rule violation and fire hazard.)

I have sent MANY complaints to the peoperty management company but nothing is being done. I am on the Board of Managers and when I bring up the problems during meetings I am given the "we'll send a notice to the homeowner" story, but they never actually do! Unfortunately, I am the only one complaining about these people, so it just looks like I don't like them.

We're having a baby in late November and are VERY concerned that the baby won't be able to get into any type of sleep pattern with the amount of noise we're experiencing. I myself jump out of my seat every time they slam the doors, and if I can't hear my television which is only 5 feet from me, (when they're blasting the car stereo OUTSIDE,) then it's wayyyyy too loud for a newborn to deal with!

I wrote a note to one of my neighbors tonight asking him to submit complaints, but he's not around much so he doesn't witness any of these things. I am going to ask their direct neighbor across the hall from them, but I don't really know him and he doesn't seem like the complaining type.

I'm tempted to write a letter to the owners/landlords but I'm very concerned that it will just cause trouble with them. I don't want them to know I'm the one doing the complaining (if by some chance they have gotten 1 or 2 complaint letters from management,) and I certainly don't want the tennants to know, since one of them is very scary and I can't take such risks when pregnant.

My blood pressure is way up and it is dangerous for the baby. The doctor told me I need to de-stress, but every time their stereo starts up or a door slams, I am right back in my "fired up" mood again.

And I can't call the police because they're quiet after 10pm, and any officer would laugh at me for complaining about slamming doors. The car stereo is only when they come and go (but they also sit out there blasting it while they put their convertible top down or smoke a cigarette.) But these are isolated 3-minute episodes and there's no way a cop could be here to witness it in time.

We can't even sell our condo when these renters are around - no one would ever buy a condo as noisy as this.

Any ideas? Can I take legal action against the property managers for not addressing the issues? Can I take legal action against the tennants for my health-risks that could impact my unborn child? How about if I put my condo on the market and it doesn't sell - can I go after the tennants because they deterred buyers with their disturbances?

I'm so desparate. I hate getting up in the morning... I hate this condo that was once my pride & joy. All because of the downstairs owner making a poor choice in renters.

PghREA

I think you need to "bite the bullet" and talk to the owners of the property.

Be more assertive in your "Board of Manager's" meeting.

LindaP777

PghREA said:
I think you need to "bite the bullet" and talk to the owners of the property.

Be more assertive in your "Board of Manager's" meeting.
Good advice. As a Landlord, I would want to know if my tenants were creating a disturbance. The Landlord and the Board should both give them warnings.

alent1234

if they are damaging your property like discoloring your deck with their grill or mustang then start talking about lawsuits to the owner of the property

Mysfyt

Just a followup - I submitted some new complaints on the tennants, for littering, etc. and got a call from their landlord last week asking me directly if I was the one complaining. I felt no need to lie to her, so I said yes. She then spent 15 minutes screaming at me, demeaning me, telling me I have a "bug up my ass" and then telling me that "this is apartment living and if you don't like it, move out." I tried desparately to explain the problem to her, but she wanted to hear nothing of it... her tennant is perfect (she thinks there's only 1 living there,) and "I" am the problem. She told me that if 1 more complaint comes through, she's taking legal action against me for harassment. I of course told her she can do that - as my complaints are all valid and I have other witnesses. She called me a liar and I hung up on her after I'd felt I'd taken enough verbal abuse.

My neighbor across the hall has witnessed the litter and some other issues but he's not complaining because he's afraid she'll confront him next. He said he'll write me a letter or help out if it ever goes to court, but otherwise he doesn't want to get involved.

The property manager told me the woman doesn't have a leg to stand on, as my complaints are about valid issues. Also - I never directly confronted the landlord or her tennants and went through the proper channels - therefore, also NOT harassment.

I have no fear that a judge will not see it as harassment, but what I do fear is retaliation from the landlord or her tennants. With a baby coming in a few months, I can't deal with any altercations or even really defend myself very well.

Ugh.

Hadenough

Stand your Ground!

I thought I was in heaven when I finally got quiet neighbors, but all at once it changed and I had the juveniles from hell living next door. If it wasn't the music, the lewd behavior, cussing, smoking etc...THEN the little brat tried to break in climbing a 6 foot fence and over a balcony. That was the last straw. I called the police, the councilman, the mayor, HUD, since their slum landlord once told me I should move. I bugged the hell out of them all. I also invested in a video camera that had night vision and busted the little creeps throwing stuff at my dog when I let him out. A tape recorder also works too if it can pick up the stereo. Just try and make sure photo's etc...are dated. The association who are spineless had no names on file, had no idea these people had theft records etc...Had no clue who lived there even though it's in our bylaws.

A policeman came told me "he had better things to do", so I said fine, got on the phone and said I would like to speak with the Chief of Police. Funny how attitude changed! I took the video tape up and asked why I have to be subjected to F this and F that, the smoking the drinking by underage juveniles and got the parent in trouble. I showed the video to the councilmen too and the police to prove the kids behavior. My next step is to call the Welfare Fraud hotline because she isn't living there but collecting rents and so is the landlord. If they are getting monies to help pay for the rent, there are housing laws that they have to follow.

Unfortunately with a landlord like that they always try to play it off like they are the victim. But you have a right to Peaceful Enjoyment of your property. I own mine and I refuse to let some landlord suck the value out of mine. They agitate me illegally I irritate them legally by hounding everyone about their activities. Also there are landlord/tenant laws. Landlords don't like to spend money, they want their rent. I cost the landlord some money with an attorney letter. Boy was he ticked off, oh well. Just make sure to document everything, time, date, certified letters etc...

It gets old but when you just can't afford to pick up and move what else can one do.

Mysfyt

Well, it turns out that the male tenant downstairs is a convicted felon!

We've had even more issues lately, and I've had damage to my vehicle which has corresponded with warning letters they've received. I have no proof that he did anything to my car, but I am SCARED to even go outside to get my mail now because he may be out there. Baby is due any day and I'm a wreck.

Anyone know what the laws are regarding felons in the neighborhood? Would I be libel or slandering if I informed the neighborhood that this guy they think is so great and nice is a two-time felon? It's public record - even in old newspaper archives.

And, given the safety risks because this guy has a key to my common hallway (to do laundry,) can I take legal action against his landlady to have him removed from the property?

Thanks for any help.

danno6925

Obtain a Permit to Carry

You have three options:
1: Deal with it, keep your head down and your mouth shut.

2: Move

3: Stand up for yourself, and demand that the neighborhood remain safe and enjoyable. To hear my opinion on how to proceed with this option, read on.

This guy is obviously not scared of prison, so I can't imagine he's scared of you getting him evicted. That doesn't mean you should stop trying though. Whenever he disturbs the peace with his music after quiet hours (usually 10PM in most communities), call the cops. Whenever you see him littering, call the cops. Whenever he breaks an ordinance, law, statute, code, etc - CALL THE COPS. He'll either get the point and clean up his act, or he'll do something stupid. If this guy's really a 2 time felon, that tells me he probably ain't the sharpest tool hanging in the shed. Be prepared for him to do something that goes beyond stupid into the realm of dangerous.

To protect yourself on that front - Buy yourself a light caliber pistol (.380 or 9mm) with a high capacity magazine. Learn how to use, clean and store it safely. Take a class at a local shooting range in self defense. They'll teach you under which circumstances the use of deadly force is allowed, and those in which it's not.

There is a world of difference between one needing but not having and one having, but never needing a firearm. I hope you only experience the latter.

Last edited:

SIGguy229

+1 Danno

Take responsibility for your safety and the safety of your newborn--the police are not responsible for your individual safety or security--but they will be diligent in filling out a report *after* something tragic happens. If you don't feel comfortable with a firearm, yet, find some OC spray when you are out, getting the mail, etc. Be sure you are upwind if you use it.

Most importantly, be situationally aware--I'm not talking about paranoia, but seeing what is going on around you and having a plan to deal with it. That could mean changing directions, taking a different route, calling 911, carrying/using a weapon.

Mike

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">