• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Townhouse - Roof leak, interior damage and mold issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xingbat

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Greetings. I own a townhouse in a community with an HOA. About 6 weeks ago during a heavy rainstorm water started leaking from a light fisture in my kitchen. I notified my HOA property management company, first my voice mail, then email.

They said they would have to get approval from the board before scheduling a repair. I notified them when I would be available to let in a repair person to my townhouse and even gave them contact info for someone else when I was unavailable due to a trip.

Bottom line is this morning I noticed some mold on the ceiling in a closet above the kitchen and notified the management company. I returned from a trip out of the country for 2 1/2 weeks and had no communication from them in the interim. They claim the roof has been repaired and were going to go back to the board about interior damage. The response was "If mitigation for the water was not done on the interior of the home which has caused the mold to occur, the Association may not be held responsible for the interior damage."

I notified them as soon as I noticed the leak and made my townhouse accessible for repair personnel to assess/fix interior damage.

Am I correct that the HOA is responsible for interior damage (including mold) caused by a roof leak?

Any suggestions on how to proceed if they deny responsibility?

Thanks, BobWhat is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">