• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Treasurer on condo board

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mistyrags

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have just been elected Treasurer on a condo association board in Florida. In trying to familiarize myself with my duties, I have been speaking to the Manager, who was the previous Treasurer and is now just a Director on the board, about the accounts, and other related issues. Also, the bank has just turned over a unit to the association, so I requested the keys to do a walk-through to assess the condition of the unit, since I am the custodian of association property. I was refused the keys, and received a letter from the President stating that he was the CEO, and any request for information had to be submitted and approved by him, and I was not to take it upon myself to make demands on the Manager's time. Does this seem right, and how am I to do my fiduciary duty as Treasurer if I cannot get information or assess the Association's property? Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

tranquility

Convince the board to your position.

Quite frankly, just do your job. Unless you have some special expertise, what do you need to to a walk through for? Hire an inspector if you think you have some fiduciary duty. Simply taking on job you are unqualified for is a breach if you did have the duty. (Which, I don't think you do.)

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have just been elected Treasurer on a condo association board in Florida. In trying to familiarize myself with my duties, I have been speaking to the Manager, who was the previous Treasurer and is now just a Director on the board, about the accounts, and other related issues. Also, the bank has just turned over a unit to the association, so I requested the keys to do a walk-through to assess the condition of the unit, since I am the custodian of association property. I was refused the keys, and received a letter from the President stating that he was the CEO, and any request for information had to be submitted and approved by him, and I was not to take it upon myself to make demands on the Manager's time. Does this seem right, and how am I to do my fiduciary duty as Treasurer if I cannot get information or assess the Association's property? Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: hahaha, CEO. Read your HOA docs. The Board President is not like a CEO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">