• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to collect HOA dues from nonresident owner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JAD7211

What is the name of your state? Washington

We have a unit owner in our condo who lives out of state. He has his condo rented. We cannot get the onwer to pay his HOA dues - he claims we never keep him informed. (He refuses to pick up any mail, including certified, that we send to either of his addresses on record.)

I know we can lien his property and that if he ever tries to sell the unit, the back HOA dues and penalites will get paid then. However, to anyone's knowledge, he has no intentions of selling.

Is there any way we can legally have the tenant withhold the amount of the dues (and any assessments and penalties already accrued) from the rent and pay those amounts directly to the Association? She is aware of the problem and has even offered to do that, but the owner is an attorney, and if there is any loophole, I'm sure he knows about it.

Thanks for any help you can give us on this!

LindaP777

I don't know of any legal way you can have the tenant withhold the HOA fees from the rent and pay the HOA. They might end up getting evicted for non-payment.

Once you place a lein on the property you can foreclose, if it's worth your while.
Do you happen to know if he has a loan on the condo? If not, there would be lots of equity in the condo and first in line for payoff at a foreclosure sale!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">