• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

upstairs condo water leak what are my responsiblities to my downstairs neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prozonetraining

What is the name of your state? AZ I own a condo in Phoenx AZ. My toilet (clean water) overflowed for about 4 minutes and leaked into the downstairs neighbors bathroom. I spoke with the landlord (tenants said the damage was minimal after I offered to clean the carpet). The landlord said that the drywall, carpet and electrical (lights, fan etc.) were damaged. I suggested a water extraction company to come out and look at the damage and said I would pay for it. After he looked at the damage he came upstairs and told me that the damage was not in the drywall or the ceiling but the carpet wet.

I then spoke to the tenant and asked if they wanted to at least have me pay to clean the carpet. The tenant told me it was all dry and the it was not a big deal. the next morning the landlord called and said she felt like the extraction guy was just a flooring guy and did not know what he was talking about.

What are my rights I do not mind paying for damage if it is really there but the water damage was minimal and I feel like the landlord wants me to pay for renovations not caused by my toilet overflow.

any advice would be greatly appreciated and if anyone knows who I could call for advice in Phoenix that would be great as well.

Thanks in Advance

ProzonetrainingWhat is the name of your state?

kdcarman

What is the name of your state? AZ I own a condo in Phoenx AZ. My toilet (clean water) overflowed for about 4 minutes and leaked into the downstairs neighbors bathroom. I spoke with the landlord (tenants said the damage was minimal after I offered to clean the carpet). The landlord said that the drywall, carpet and electrical (lights, fan etc.) were damaged. I suggested a water extraction company to come out and look at the damage and said I would pay for it. After he looked at the damage he came upstairs and told me that the damage was not in the drywall or the ceiling but the carpet wet.

I then spoke to the tenant and asked if they wanted to at least have me pay to clean the carpet. The tenant told me it was all dry and the it was not a big deal. the next morning the landlord called and said she felt like the extraction guy was just a flooring guy and did not know what he was talking about.

What are my rights I do not mind paying for damage if it is really there but the water damage was minimal and I feel like the landlord wants me to pay for renovations not caused by my toilet overflow.

any advice would be greatly appreciated and if anyone knows who I could call for advice in Phoenix that would be great as well.

Thanks in Advance

ProzonetrainingWhat is the name of your state?
I had this happen in my unit. I was top unit, toilet sprang a leak. Damage to my unit and the two units below me. My insurance covered my unit. Each of the units below ere required to file a claim with their own insurance. Case closed.

HuAi

nobody is required to carry insurance in this country. the owner may very well choose to pursue a claim against you in court. keep your inspector's report safe as evidence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">