• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

water damage to my condo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Microbe_Hunter

Maryland

I live in the bottom unit of a condominium that is 3 stories high (there are three other units above my unit). Water leaked from the top unit ( third floor condo # 13) into my condo , unit #1 causing considerable damage. The owner of unit 13 rents his unit out, and has refused to do anything about the water damage done to my unit, though the condo management has determined it was from his unit the water originated (a plumbing leak) and that the leak was his responsibility and not the associations. He repaired the leak.
This guy owns 50 other properties in the area and has a reputation for being very offensive in such matters. His methods have been described to me as mendacious at best!
I had to send him a registered letter to finally get in touch with him. Upon receiving my letter he called my answering service, but left a totally incorrect call back phone number; luckliely I have caller ID .
When I called back he first claimed to have never received a letter from the condo association informing him of any leak into my unit; though I used the same address from the copy sent him by the association to send the registered letter; and the fact that he admits having to do plumbing repair in his unit after the association got on him proves that he received the letter from the association; but he still denies any responsibility for my unit.
What to do??

seniorjudge

Microbe_Hunter said:
Maryland

I live in the bottom unit of a condominium that is 3 stories high (there are three other units above my unit). Water leaked from the top unit ( third floor condo # 13) into my condo , unit #1 causing considerable damage. The owner of unit 13 rents his unit out, and has refused to do anything about the water damage done to my unit, though the condo management has determined it was from his unit the water originated (a plumbing leak) and that the leak was his responsibility and not the associations. He repaired the leak.
This guy owns 50 other properties in the area and has a reputation for being very offensive in such matters. His methods have been described to me as mendacious at best!
I had to send him a registered letter to finally get in touch with him. Upon receiving my letter he called my answering service, but left a totally incorrect call back phone number; luckliely I have caller ID .
When I called back he first claimed to have never received a letter from the condo association informing him of any leak into my unit; though I used the same address from the copy sent him by the association to send the registered letter; and the fact that he admits having to do plumbing repair in his unit after the association got on him proves that he received the letter from the association; but he still denies any responsibility for my unit.
What to do??

Sue the bad person in small claims court for the amount of actual and direct damages as measured in dollars.

asylum23

Yep, small claims court. The HOA won't be able to help you really with matters like that b/c it came from inside his unit to inside yours I'm assuming. But I would start right now taking lots of dated photos for evidence and then file in small claims.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">