• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water damage from upstairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cobypurser

What is the name of your state? Utah
I purchased a condo that had been empty for 4 months. Upon ownership I started to remodel. At which point I found a large water leak comming from the kitchen sink of the owner above me. The owner's sink drain pipe was just cut and pushed inside of the main drain comming down to my unit. Of course the pipe leaked around the rough edges and the water came into my unit, and destroyed the kitchen cabinets (mold and wrotten wood) It also damaged all of the bathroom and the bedroom carpet.
The condo assoc. maintenece person fixed the pipe for the upstairs owner (even though the bi-laws say he is responsible)
Now the owner above me says he isn't responsible for damages cause by his bad/faulty plumbing techniques.
Should i take him to small claims? If so, I have to replace 1/2 of the kitchen cabinets. Would he be responsible to replace all the cabinets so that the cabinets match?
Thanks for any input you possibly can give me.

HomeGuru

cobypurser said:
What is the name of your state? Utah
I purchased a condo that had been empty for 4 months. Upon ownership I started to remodel. At which point I found a large water leak comming from the kitchen sink of the owner above me. The owner's sink drain pipe was just cut and pushed inside of the main drain comming down to my unit. Of course the pipe leaked around the rough edges and the water came into my unit, and destroyed the kitchen cabinets (mold and wrotten wood) It also damaged all of the bathroom and the bedroom carpet.
The condo assoc. maintenece person fixed the pipe for the upstairs owner (even though the bi-laws say he is responsible)
Now the owner above me says he isn't responsible for damages cause by his bad/faulty plumbing techniques.
Should i take him to small claims? If so, I have to replace 1/2 of the kitchen cabinets. Would he be responsible to replace all the cabinets so that the cabinets match?
Thanks for any input you possibly can give me.

**A: you may need to sue both the unit owner and the HOA in regular claims court. Hire an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">