• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do about an unresponsive co-op board?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jack2k3

What is the name of your state? CA

Hi, I live in a co-operative apartment-like building, I haven't lived here for too long so I'm relatively new to co-op housing. I have a question about the title.

The title of share has my name, I asked the management about adding a second name to the title. They told me that I need to write to the board. I wrote to the board requesting their approval. I haven't got anything back. I asked the management again for more information, they said that I need to contact the board, pay a $50 administrative fee, and they need to do a background check on me.

I wrote a second time, and I still didn't get anything back. The "board" doesn't have a number, I'm just writing to the office and management with an attn. to the board.

This has been a while now. Can anyone here suggest what I can do to get them moving? Aren't they obligated to at least write back or call with information about how they're going to proceed?

As a separate note, the reason I would like to add someone to the title is just in case something happens to me, the person I add would be able to sell it instead of the co-op. Am I correct that this would be the scenario if say I die and I am the only person on the title?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">