• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What causes of action to bring for water damage to co-op unit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

co-op1

What is the name of your state? NYC

Hi. A pipe in an upstairs neighbor's apartment burst, causing water damage to my unit's ceiling (I am an owner). What causes of action to bring for water damage to co-op unit? Against co-op association and/or upstairs unit owner? Any other advice on what I need to prove my case, including damages? Thanks!

seniorjudge

Q: What causes of action to bring for water damage to co-op unit?

A: Trespass.

Q: Against co-op association and/or upstairs unit owner?

A: Sue both of them; but make sure you get the one who caused the damages.

Q: Any other advice on what I need to prove my case, including damages?

A: Yes; hire a lawyer.

co-op1

Thank you. The damages are significant (for me), but not so huge that I could find an attorney to do it for me. Their insurance company is playing hard-ball and only offering a portion of what the damages really are in terms of getting my unit back to the condition it was in.

seniorjudge

co-op1 said:
Thank you. The damages are significant (for me), but not so huge that I could find an attorney to do it for me. Their insurance company is playing hard-ball and only offering a portion of what the damages really are in terms of getting my unit back to the condition it was in.
Then sue them all in small claims court without a lawyer and hope for the best.

JETX

co-op1 said:
Hi. A pipe in an upstairs neighbor's apartment burst, causing water damage to my unit's ceiling (I am an owner). What causes of action to bring for water damage to co-op unit?[/qutoe]
Simple property damage claim. You don't need to specify cause of action for a small claim action.
HOWEVER, what was the ACTUAL cause of the pipe burst?? If it was negligence, then sue the negligent party.
If no negligence, no suit.

Against co-op association and/or upstairs unit owner?
Depends on who is responsible and the ACTUAL cause... and if claim involves negligence.

Any other advice on what I need to prove my case, including damages?
Yep. Where is YOUR insurance??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">