• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accord and Satisfaction Home Improvement Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jnh978

I am in Massachusetts

A few months ago we had a new roof put on the house.

The dispute involves the contractor charging an additional amount that was not on the original invoice. I will try and be clear as possible

Evidently there are 3 parts to the edge of a roof: A, B, and C. The contract we signed clearly stated that A, B, and C would be installed at a charge of $6.75 per linear foot. When we got the invoice there was the charge for A, B, and C for 6.75 per foot (this is fine). There was also an additional charge for just C at $1.50 per linear foot which amounted to $1,500. This additional charge was not mentioned anywhere in the contract that we signed nor were we notified of this nor were any amendments signed authorizing such an increase in price. The invoice was just dropped in our mailbox after the work was done.

We sent the contractor a check for everything that we owed except for the 1,500. With it we included a letter explaining our side of the story and why we thought that the $1,500 was unjustified. In the last line of my letter I wrote “Therefore we ask that you accept our payment as satisfactory.”

We received no response from him and the check was cashed a couple days later. About a week later we received a notice that we had to appear in Small Claims Court.

Here are my questions:

1) Does he even have a case?? Nowhere on the contract was there anything mentioned about charging an additional 1.50 per foot for just C. In fact, it clearly stated that A, B, and C would be installed at 6.75 per foot.

2) I’m trying to think of any reason why he would win: is there some kind of implied contract going on here? Is there any case law that would give an edge to the contractor over the homeowner?

3) Does “Accord and Satisfaction” apply here since he did in fact cash the check for the reduced amount? Is my line at the end of the letter (“Therefore we ask that you accept our payment as satisfactory.”) enough to bring A and S into play?

Thank you for your time and advice!

S

seniorjudge

I don't know anything about Massachusetts law, but here is an observation:

Is the additional charge for part C a necessary part of the roof?

Did the builder in fact do something extra that he expects to get paid for?

What would've happened had not the extra work been done? (I.e., would the roof have even worked correctly?)

Be prepared to argue these things (to your favor of course) when you go before the small claims court.

Others on this forum (I hope) will give you more ideas.

An interesting article on "accord and satisfaction":
http://www.constructionweblinks.com/Resources/Industry_Reports__Newsletters/Nov_22_2004/owne.html

What you are describing is not really "accord and satisfaction" under classic contract law. That's because there is no "accord" (i.e., a new agreement) so, obviously, there can be no "satisfaction."

jnh978

seniorjudge said:
I don't know anything about Massachusetts law, but here is an observation:

Is the additional charge for part C a necessary part of the roof?
I believe the material (I used "C" for simplicity but it is just a certain size of wood molding) is necessary. As far as I know, what was done was standard for a typical roof. I'm not sure if the extra charge that appeared on the invoice was mistakenly absent from the contract, but it is absolutly nowhere on the contract.

Did the builder in fact do something extra that he expects to get paid for?

He did nothing extra in terms of what was on the contract. As far as I know it was a standard roof with nothing out of the ordinary being done. Again maybe he normally charges people extra for C but it was not mentioned on the contract

What would've happened had not the extra work been done? (I.e., would the roof have even worked correctly?)

I don't know that I would refer to it as "extra work" it was work that was necessary to install an standard working roof.

Be prepared to argue these things (to your favor of course) when you go before the small claims court.

Others on this forum (I hope) will give you more ideas.

An interesting article on "accord and satisfaction":
http://www.constructionweblinks.com/Resources/Industry_Reports__Newsletters/Nov_22_2004/owne.html

What you are describing is not really "accord and satisfaction" under classic contract law. That's because there is no "accord" (i.e., a new agreement) so, obviously, there can be no "satisfaction."

Wouldn't the cashing of the check as well as my letter and that last line ("please accept as satisfactory...") be seen as the "accord"? Based on the letter, the new accord would be the acceptance of the reduced sum based on the fact that the $1,500 is not mentioned in the contract. Is my reasoning off?
Thank you for your responses, Judge. I'm pre-law and am very curious about this situation.

S

seniorjudge

jnh978 said:
Thank you for your responses, Judge. I'm pre-law and am very curious about this situation.

Good luck! Study that contract law assiduously. Business law is where the money is!

S

seniorjudge

Wouldn't the cashing of the check as well as my letter and that last line ("please accept as satisfactory...") be seen as the "accord"? Based on the letter, the new accord would be the acceptance of the reduced sum based on the fact that the $1,500 is not mentioned in the contract. Is my reasoning off?

Probably not; an agreement is between two parties. There was no agreement because both of y'all did not agree to it!

BTW, your statement of facts was excellent!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">