• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Additional building charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cameo38

What is the name of your state? FL
What ever advise you can give will be greatly appreciated.
Here goes, we signed a contract with a known builder. We were given an allowance for 3000 psi of concrete (monolithic slab). We have since received an additional substantial bill for a "special" pump truck to reach parts of our house that the builder claims a regular concrete truck wasn't going to be able to reach. IF the cut tree's of which should have been removed when they cleared the lot and the dumpster was moved to a different location for the time of the pour we would have not needed the "special" pump truck.
In the contract it states: ADDITIONAL COSTS: Concrete pumping of slab due to POOR SOIL CONDITIONS. That was not our case. WHen we spoke to the construction office they stated it was due to not being able to reach, nothing to the fact of the soil conditions. They also divulged that to pour a house our size it would use about 72 yards. For this "special" truck they charged us for 60 yards in addition to what we paid for in the contract. So, all in all we have paid for a slab when we signed for this builder to build our house and then we're paying another 60 yards because we had to use this "special" truck. Now mind you it wasn't because they needed extra concrete, it was because the truck couldn't reach parts of our house.
The bill we received was for:
4 hours of labor
60 yards of concrete
primer, fuel surcharge, and mobilization.
So I feel we are being charged for 2 slabs and getting 1 house.
Kind Regards

lwpat

The poor soil conditions that would not support a concrete truck is something that the builder may not have been able to forsee when bidding the project. However the use of a pump truck is not all that unusual and is something that is often included in the bid. What is probably happening is that the cost of concrete has taken a big jump and the contractor sees this a way to recover some of his additional costs.

Assuming that this is a responsible contractor then he is telling you the truth when he says he did not include the use of the truck. Based on that alone I would pay the exact cost of the pump truck. Have him furnish you a copy of the invoice. Someone would have to examine the paperwork to determine if he can legally recover the extra.

FYI. 3000 psi is the strength of the concrete and cubic yards is the volume. My concern would be that they did not pour the slab thick enough if they only used 60 cy. However that may only be the amount they pumped and they poured the rest out of the truck. I would also ask for the concrete tickets and have someone figure the volume that was required and compare.

If they did not use enough concrete you should have a testing company core the slab to verify the thickness.

I would also send the builder a certifed letter advising that any more extras must be apporved in writing.

Cameo38

lwpat said:
The poor soil conditions that would not support a concrete truck is something that the builder may not have been able to forsee when bidding the project. However the use of a pump truck is not all that unusual and is something that is often included in the bid. What is probably happening is that the cost of concrete has taken a big jump and the contractor sees this a way to recover some of his additional costs.

Assuming that this is a responsible contractor then he is telling you the truth when he says he did not include the use of the truck. Based on that alone I would pay the exact cost of the pump truck. Have him furnish you a copy of the invoice. Someone would have to examine the paperwork to determine if he can legally recover the extra.

FYI. 3000 psi is the strength of the concrete and cubic yards is the volume. My concern would be that they did not pour the slab thick enough if they only used 60 cy. However that may only be the amount they pumped and they poured the rest out of the truck. I would also ask for the concrete tickets and have someone figure the volume that was required and compare.

If they did not use enough concrete you should have a testing company core the slab to verify the thickness.

I would also send the builder a certifed letter advising that any more extras must be apporved in writing.
:confused: Ok I spoke with the construction office again. The reasoning for this special pump truck was because of the accessibility. That is not stated as an additional cost. Only poor soil conditions is stated. The person I spoke with even said that they need to add this to the contract. ALSO, it is stated that the contractor is responsible for all labor, material, equipment, tools, contruction eqipment, machinery, water, heat, utilities, transportation and other facitlities and service necessary for the proper completion of the work.
In the contract it states "Concrete pumping of slab due to poor soil conditions". Nothing about accessibility.
The copy of the bill shows:
4 hours labor
60 yards of concrete (thats only the amount they had to pump in, the rest of the house was poured)
travel time
fuel surcharge
primer for the concrete
So wouldn't all that be the responsibility of the builder since that's what is stated in the contract.
Nowhere in the contract does it say that I would be responsible for any of that.
Thanking you in advance

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">