• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

air duct is disconnected

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

powdermill

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Hello. I purchased a condo/townhouse in Fall 2001. After I moved in, I noticed a smell coming out of my bedroom vent. For months I tried to find the cause of it but to no avail. I tried a professional duct-cleaning service, but they could not get rid of the smell. I even bought a periscope to look inside the flex duct but could not see anything obvious. Then one evening I reached my hand into a vent and noticed that the flexduct seemed kind of loose. I tried to pull and contract the flexduct toward me to see if it would tighten up (since the other end should be attached to the main supply branch duct), but to my surprise, it kept pulling toward me until I reached the end of the hose. It turns out the hose is not attached to the main supply air duct! So to re-attach it, I need to hire an HVAC contractor to rip up the floor and re-attach the duct. The question is how should I proceed in terms of finding out if the builder is liable? Is there anyway to prove that this is their fault and not be accused of disconnecting it myself?

P

powdermill

I contacted the subcontractor who installed the ductwork. They said that there was a 2-year warranty on the home. I discovered the disconnected duct after the 2-year warranty (I was not the owner during the first two years). I feel that they should pay for the repair, because this kind of problem is not easily noticeable (it is underneath the floor). Also, the smell coming out of the vent may be harmful. Do I have any options?

P

powdermill

Thanks HomeGuru. I attempted to hire an HVAC contractor to fix the problem, but he said that all the problem requires is a handyman to cut a hole in the floor and to attach the flex duct to the main supply duct with metal foil duct tape. So will a handyman's inspector report suffice? I don't know this industry too well so forgive me if the question sounds unnecessary.

HomeGuru

powdermill said:
Thanks HomeGuru. I attempted to hire an HVAC contractor to fix the problem, but he said that all the problem requires is a handyman to cut a hole in the floor and to attach the flex duct to the main supply duct with metal foil duct tape. So will a handyman's inspector report suffice? I don't know this industry too well so forgive me if the question sounds unnecessary.
**A: have the HVAC contractor put it in writing and do the fix.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">