• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I liable for this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

yoyo123

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I needed to hire a contractor to build a small deck and carport for me. While I was interviewing four contractors, I specifically asked if they were licensed and insured to work in Denver, Colorado. Only two said they were. I picked one and signed the contract thinking everything was fine. That's when my problems started.

Last week one of his workers fell off the carport and broke several ribs and has a severe back injury. I then found out only the contractor was covered by insurance. This has me totally freaked out. My contractor sent me a copy of his insurance policy after I signed the contract. I thought this was sufficent proof to me that ALL of his workers were covered with medical insurance.

I have spoken to the worker and he has told me he does not blame my for his injuries and does not intend to sue me, but I feel like we have both been screwed by this contractor. What are my legal options? Am I liable fo rhte worker's medical bills (now over $12,000.00).

HomeGuru

yoyo123 said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

I needed to hire a contractor to build a small deck and carport for me. While I was interviewing four contractors, I specifically asked if they were licensed and insured to work in Denver, Colorado. Only two said they were. I picked one and signed the contract thinking everything was fine. That's when my problems started.

Last week one of his workers fell off the carport and broke several ribs and has a severe back injury. I then found out only the contractor was covered by insurance. This has me totally freaked out. My contractor sent me a copy of his insurance policy after I signed the contract. I thought this was sufficent proof to me that ALL of his workers were covered with medical insurance.

I have spoken to the worker and he has told me he does not blame my for his injuries and does not intend to sue me, but I feel like we have both been screwed by this contractor. What are my legal options? Am I liable fo rhte worker's medical bills (now over $12,000.00).
**A: what did your insurance agent tell you when you called to report the incident on the day of the accident? As the owner of the property, yes you are liable in this case when t here is no insurance that covers the workers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">