• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bad contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bluemom

What is the name of your state? Texas

we are building a house and are having contractor problems. it was supposed to take 3 to 4 months to build. we are in month number 5 and there is no end in sight. we have gone through 5 superintendents, 2 plumbers, 2 electricians, 3 roofers, 2 trim guys. we signed draws after each area of the work was completed. we are now finding out that the suppliers and a number of the subcontractors were not paid. we have had 2 attempts to have liens filed and who knows how many more in the making. there is no one working on the house. it is sitting here. everytime i call the current superintendent i have to leave a voice mail. it's never returned. we had one superintendent that was really working right along on a daily basis, getting people out here and working. they fired him, my guess is that he was working too fast. what are our options? can we terminate our contract with these guys? how would this effect any potental liens that will be filed? because there are bound to be more.

JETX

It certainly sounds like you have run into the 'contractor from hell'. And regretably, the only thing you can realistically do at this time is to start taking actions to protect yourself. I would do this be getting a good 'real estate' attorney on line to review your situation and best get the construction restarted (if possible) and to limit the concern of contractor liens being filed.

Start by contacting your county bar association and asking for a no- or low-cost consultation with a real estate attorney.

Good luck and let us know how this goes.

HomeGuru

In additon writer, you need to be talking to the owners of the company and the people who signed the contract.

B

Bluemom

We are on the phone with these guys almost on a daily basis. they tell us they are aware of the unpaid bills, they will take care of them before a lien is filed. They did paid off one of them, but there are 2 others so far that we know of. They keep telling us someone will be out. We finally did get in touch with the superintendent Wed. and he said 3 guys would be out Thursday for the AC/ electric, trim. But they didn't show. We called again Thur. and he said they would be out today. Still no show. We even showed up at the office on morning unannounced. That helped a little. Maybe we need to try that again.

HomeGuru

Bluemom said:
We are on the phone with these guys almost on a daily basis. they tell us they are aware of the unpaid bills, they will take care of them before a lien is filed. They did paid off one of them, but there are 2 others so far that we know of. They keep telling us someone will be out. We finally did get in touch with the superintendent Wed. and he said 3 guys would be out Thursday for the AC/ electric, trim. But they didn't show. We called again Thur. and he said they would be out today. Still no show. We even showed up at the office on morning unannounced. That helped a little. Maybe we need to try that again.
**A: once again you need to be talking to the owner of the company and the person that has the contractor's license.

Last edited:
B

Bluemom

My husband talks to the owners every other day. To no avail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">