• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

breach of contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

streep

What is the name of your state? NC
I signed a contract with a licensed contractor for a given amount to build my home. He stated in the contract that he would complete it in approximately six months. It has now been a little over a year. He works very infrequently. The contract provides for draws at certain stages in the building of the house. I have been paying him at each draw. I recently discovered that he has not been paying his subcontractors and vendors completely. He has asked for advance payments four times and I have given them to him three times. The fourth time he asked for an advance, I refused and told him if it would speed the contract, I would pay subcontractors and vendors directly at my discretion. One of the subcontractors tells me he's going to place a lien on my house today. He says I can pay him directly without the contractor's signing off on him. In light of all the above, what are my options with this contractor and with this subcontractor.

Thank you.

HomeGuru

streep said:
What is the name of your state? NC
I signed a contract with a licensed contractor for a given amount to build my home. He stated in the contract that he would complete it in approximately six months. It has now been a little over a year. He works very infrequently. The contract provides for draws at certain stages in the building of the house. I have been paying him at each draw. I recently discovered that he has not been paying his subcontractors and vendors completely. He has asked for advance payments four times and I have given them to him three times. The fourth time he asked for an advance, I refused and told him if it would speed the contract, I would pay subcontractors and vendors directly at my discretion. One of the subcontractors tells me he's going to place a lien on my house today. He says I can pay him directly without the contractor's signing off on him. In light of all the above, what are my options with this contractor and with this subcontractor.

Thank you.
**A: hire a real estate or construction attorney immediately.

S

streep

Could you elaborate? Why do you say hire an attorney immediately?

HomeGuru

streep said:
Could you elaborate? Why do you say hire an attorney immediately?
**A: because there is an urgency to this matter. You have overpayed the contractor but more importantly one of the subs is going to file a lien against your home. Once a lien is filed, the mortgage lender is not going to be a happy camper and will stop funding.

S

streep

This is not a construction loan but the loan was obtained based on the value of the house before construction started.

HomeGuru

streep said:
This is not a construction loan but the loan was obtained based on the value of the house before construction started.
**A: it makes no difference as the default provsions in your mortgage would be the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">