• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

builder won't fix anything

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bagged123

What is the name of your state? CT.
I built a house and went to closing in October of 2001. When I did a initial walk through before going to closing me and the builder made a list of things that need to be fixed and/or completed. Still at this time 2003 the builder has not fixed anything from the initial list. When I call them to get a status and time frame on when this is going to happen he says they'll get around to it and when it was cold he would say when it warms up. Well now its warm and almost 2 years of the initial list. I was given a 1 year warranty on the house but he didn't fix anything within the 1 year time frame.

I was wondering what can I do to get the items repaired that me and the builder discussed on our walkthrough? At this time I've sent several list per his request again and sent several certified to make sure he got them, I even hand delivered the list to the builders office and had him sign a receipt that he received the list of repairs needed.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,
Fustrated with builder

B

buzzards27

I wouldn't hold my breath on this guy. Sound to me like you should have gone to a lawyer long ago.

Are these minor things, like drywall nail popping, or is it serious structural issues? You are going to have to evaluate whether the cost of filing suit is justified.

The mistake you made was allowing him to put off the walk thru until right before closing. Always allows several weeks for this process (better yet, walk thru on a daily basis and promptly report problems to the builder. If he isn't on top of them then, he isn't going to do better in the end). It is sometimes better to delay transfer even if it means reworking loans. Sometimes just working language into the contract (i.e. walk thru two weeks before closing, added cost to be shared for any delays, etc) stops this game.

bagged123

The biggest structure issue is that the garage floor is sinking and cracking apart and the foundation is cracking apart in the basement.

B

buzzards27

"The biggest structure issue is that the garage floor is sinking and cracking apart..."

This is a common problem. If you had been on top of the construction process, you would have verified proper compaction of the sub-base prior to pouring concrete. Builder should fix it (grout jacking is the easiest fix), but you'll have a hard time getting it done.

"and the foundation is cracking apart in the basement."

Minor cracking is common and is not a structutral issue. Concrete and CMU walls shrink as they cure and some cracking (normally less than 1/16 inch, but as much as 1/4 inch) is part of the process. It is only a problem if there is displacement. Are the walls level, plumb, and straight (vertical and Horz.)?

HomeGuru

Writer, contact your own structural engineer to inspect those items that are of concern. Then if major problems are discovered, you have an inspection report to give to the builder.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">