• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Building Inspector Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harborharley

What is the name of your state?I am in Michigan.

I am building a new garage with apartment above. First I was issued a permit to build to my submitted plans. I was stopped when the inspector measured the height and it was 3 feet over, even though it was built to my exact drawings he approved. I went to the ZBA (appeals) they voted twice once 3 to 3 and then 1 to 6 against the height variance. A member of the ZBA was drunk and controlled the meeting.

I asked building inspector what I can do. He said lower roof or attach to my house, then height is OK. I applied for and received an attachment permit. I proceeded to complete the original garage until attachment foundation could be put in. I did all sorts of work, put on roofing, interior walls, electrical...he came up and told me to stop, that now by attaching, the garage is too close to the lot by 2 feet. He admitted making a mistake in his letter to me.

The City has now offered to pay my fee $350 to go before the ZBA again, according to the Mayor here, to ask for a variance on the 2 feet side yard.
I don't trust these pricks any more. I cooporated before and got screwed.

The City issued me two permits, revoked both, let me construct, now I have a building roofed, ready for siding, walls built inside, electrical put in and I cannot finish. They are driving me crazy. If this was all wrong, why did they issue me permits? Am i in America, is this the USA? I told the City this is like a bad dream only it's happening to me. I am beside myself. I have $3,000 worth of siding sitting on the ground and winter will be here soon. At least the building has shingles on and Tyvek for wall covering. They have cost me many thousands of $$$$$. They are driving me mad. I just can't believe this!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">