• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Building laws you can only see for a fee.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Argyle

What is the name of your state? Washington

My State and County, like most, have adopted the Universal Building Codes by reference. They are not published in the County or State Codes. These are laws only accessable for a fee. One must 'pay' to see them. Does anyone else see a problem with this?

HomeGuru

Argyle said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

My State and County, like most, have adopted the Universal Building Codes by reference. They are not published in the County or State Codes. These are laws only accessable for a fee. One must 'pay' to see them. Does anyone else see a problem with this?
**A: are you talking about the IBC: International Building Code?

A

Argyle

In my county it is currently 'The Uniform Building Code (1997 Edition), published by the International Conference of Building Officials'.

B

buzzards27

Most engineering and arch firms have this code. Call around, I bet you'll find a few that would allow you to review their codebooks. I have the 1994 edition if there is something you need a general answer to.

Most public libraries should have copies of the code used by the local authorities. Are the local authorities refusing to let you look at their code books?

A

Argyle

I appreciate your replies. I think my question needs to be rephrased and reposted in the Copyrights, Patents, Trademarks, forum. I feel that public law is a part of the public domain and reprinting in part or whole should be anyones right. I feel that I should be able to search the code online on my state and county websites like I can all other codes. I posted to see if anyone else shared my thoughts. Again, thank you for your replies.

B

buzzards27

I think it stinks. In Ohio they're even trying to take away the right to view public info if two of more private companies sell it..

OHIO HOUSE BILL ATTACHED TO SENATE BUDGET BILL GREATLY RESTRICTS FREE PUBLIC INFORMATION

Bill would make public pay for information online currently provided for free

The public's right to know about state and local government functions and activities is currently threatened by the Electronic Government Services Act (H.B. 145). The bill would prohibit most state agencies from providing public information through the Internet (either through email or online) if two or more private enterprises are delivering that information for a profit. That House members would go along with a proposal that reeks of contempt for the public is unconscionable.

The Bill was introduced by Rep. Steve Buehrer, a Toledo Republican, but the real architect of the proposal appears to be the American Legislation Exchange Council (ALEC), a group that has promoted this policy in a number of states. The concept behind the legislation is to transfer free public information delivered on government agency Web sites to the realm of a fee-based system controlled by the private sector. This is a textbook example of a legislator who has forgotten he works for the public, not for those who mine public information and attempt to profit from it.

A

Argyle

I went to the Ohio website and verified what you have posted. Thanks for the input. It is just as outrageous. I don't know if there are any secific laws that govern a citizens right to free access to the laws by which they are governed, but there should be. In a free society you would think it is an inalienable right.

Last edited:
B

buzzards27

Argyle

What gets me is that this proposed law is driven by out-of-state interests that well then set up the businesses that well allow the government to shut down their websites to the public. I posted this because it sounds like this is going to end up in every state. Watch out for this American Legislation Exchange Council (ALEC), See: http://www.motherjones.com/news/outfront/2002/37/ma_95_01.html

The auditor in the next county (Lorain, Ohio) aready charges $15.00 per month for access to records that most counties have on-line for free. Casual users (me) subsidize the upkeep of their system, while the ones who use it daily (title companies) get an almost free service.

Hope your were able to find a free source to the codes.

HomeGuru

Writer, if you have a specifc code question, the local building department usually can givce you copies of the applicable code section. The codes are written and published by code organizations and therefore the material is copyrighted. The organizations make money selling the code books and thus it is not free. The government is not required to give out free code books. As stated in an earlier post, most libraries may carry a set in their reference scetion. If your public regional library does not have a set, check out your university or college library.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">