• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Built shed w/o permit, now selling home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

real_cheep

I live in Evanston, IL. I bought a small house on a corner lot when I moved here three years ago. I desperately needed more storage space, so I decided to build a 10'x12' shed near the rear of the lot. Because I wanted to proceed without delay, and also because I had no plans/blueprints that I could submit to the City, I decided to skip the building permit application process. The shed went up without incident. I am preparing to sell the house now, and I'm wondering if the presence of this shed is going to be a problem. It's a very solid shed, and meets all local codes and building regulations, for example regarding setback from the alley, etc, however, it obviously is absent from the property survey done prior to the purchase, because it didn't exist.
My question is, once a structure like this built, is the building permit even an issue anymore? Could the City make me tear it down, or could they perhaps fine me? Could I avoid problems by simply putting it on the back of a large truck (its built on skids) and taking it with me when I leave?
Any ideas about what problems I might expect would be greatly appreciated!

rmet4nzkx

Check with your local building department, it is possible that no permit is required for a garden structure especially one that is build to be portable. If there is electricity brought in that may be a different story. If it turns out that you have to remove it when you move be sure the new owner knows it doesn't stay with the property.

nextwife

real_cheep said:
I live in Evanston, IL. I bought a small house on a corner lot when I moved here three years ago. I desperately needed more storage space, so I decided to build a 10'x12' shed near the rear of the lot. Because I wanted to proceed without delay, and also because I had no plans/blueprints that I could submit to the City, I decided to skip the building permit application process. The shed went up without incident. I am preparing to sell the house now, and I'm wondering if the presence of this shed is going to be a problem. It's a very solid shed, and meets all local codes and building regulations, for example regarding setback from the alley, etc, however, it obviously is absent from the property survey done prior to the purchase, because it didn't exist.
My question is, once a structure like this built, is the building permit even an issue anymore? Could the City make me tear it down, or could they perhaps fine me? Could I avoid problems by simply putting it on the back of a large truck (its built on skids) and taking it with me when I leave?
Any ideas about what problems I might expect would be greatly appreciated!
Many municipalities have presale inspection requirements. This is when they have an opportunity to discover anything built in violation of permit or code. They have several options available incuding fines, and requiring revision to meet code.

This link will take you the Evanston's web site, Building Division:

http://www.cityofevanston.org/Departments/CommunityDev/Building/

You can review and determine what the codes and regulations are, and make certain you are in compliance. Also, if you exclude this from caontract, be aware you will also need to repair the lawn when you remove it.

Last edited:
P

Peeety

Many places don't look at structures that aren't permanent ..... meaning unless they are built on a foundation, have utilities hooked up, etc. they are just considered "temporary". My dad got away with that by using an extention cord as his source for electricity on his shed, and by putting it on cinder blocks instead of a concrete pad or foundation wall.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">