• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Check Cashing & Endorsing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SBearski

MICHIGAN

If a bank makes a check out to 3 parties, say a contractor & two owners of a home, and it's made out with all three names listed separately, no one acting for anyone, don't all three parties have to sign the check?

What are the legal ramifications of cashing that check without the other two signatures or having other people forge the required signatures?

:confused:

HomeGuru

And who signed the check and who cashed the check without all 3 signatures if the check was paid to each single name followed by the word AND.

S

SBearski

Check written out as:

the check was wriiten out as follows:

Builders Name AND my name OR husband's name

S

SBearski

check cashed by

The check was cashed JUSt by the builder & we never saw it, I just got a copy of it from the bank faxed to me, it was cashed on March 3rd. I've seen it for the first time today, March 10.

P

Pfaffing85690

Then BOTH you and the Builder OR Your husband AND the builder could cash the check. It would not require all three.

HomeGuru

Re: check cashed by

SBearski said:
The check was cashed JUSt by the builder & we never saw it, I just got a copy of it from the bank faxed to me, it was cashed on March 3rd. I've seen it for the first time today, March 10.
**A: whose 2 signatures are on the reverse side of the check as endorsement?

S

SBearski

So the cehck had to have at LEAST two signatures right? It had to have the Builder & one of the owners or both owners? What are the legal ramifications for the builder either cashing it without 2 signatures OR the legal ramifications of the builder having somone else forge one of our signatures? It was a check over $12,000.

S

SBearski

[Q] That's what I'd like to know.

Well, IF there are two signatures, neither were from me or my husband, which means 2 things:

(1) The builders cashed it with only one signature & the bank screwed up by cashing it.
(2) He forged the second signature.

What would either scenerio mean for him legally?

P

Pfaffing85690

You're kidding right?

I bet I know the answer to that question already...:D

S

SBearski

HomeGuru said:
Was the bank employee smart enough to fax to the writer both front and back of the check?
Unfortunately, no, I only got a copy of the front.

P

Pfaffing85690

SugarBear, call the bank and have them fax you the REVERSE side of the damn check.....please?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">