• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Completion date not written in agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kwilz

What is the name of your state?NY We had kitchen remodel that was told to us that would be about 3-4 weeks. We also asked for two other small jobs to be done that would be approximately 1 week. We are now at 10 weeks and my husband is completing things such as installing outlet that was never put in plans where the dishwasher is,installed dishwasherand sink and other things. We were sent final bill that is 3-4 thousand above what we calculated based on conversations with him about kitchen and extra jobs. He has receipts and is charging for extra hours. There were numerous times in this ten week process that he would be late or half days due to problems with his work truck,also his worker quit and he did work himself for one week. We were also told by him(after worker quit) that worker had no prior construction experience. We paid most of bill because he said he didn'twant to have to put a mechanics lien on house. He says he will come back to fini sh things but if he can charge for extra time don't I have a legitimate com plaint due to length of job? Or does it have to be in writing? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

shortbus

I guess you have never hired a contractor before? Because it always takes more time & money than the estimate.

A court would say that once the job ran over, and you allowed him to keep working, you & he impliedly made a modification of the original contract. Now the work is done, you can't turn around and refuse to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">