• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Concrete Driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tipton

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

August 18, 2014 I put a post on craigslist looking for someone to add onto my concrete driveway. i had a gentleman stop over and say he would like to do the job. We wrote a contract up saying " This is an agreement for concrete work for a 14ft wide 45ft long tapered down to the main driveway, and a 10ft wide tapered down to 4ft. and removal of 3 small stumps $3700 which includes the concrete and clean up." I travel for work so i was gone back and forth not seeing the job everyday. This was not my first quote on the job, the other company said they would need a pumper which pumps the concrete from the road to the portion that i needed done so it would not break my existing concrete. And i did tell him that he said there is no problem and shouldn't be a problem. It took them about a week to prep the driveway due to rain delays. On a Tuesday they poured the driveway i was out of town, 2/3 of the driveway looked pretty good the other 1/3 well he didnt measure and he did not get enough concrete so the truck had to go back and get more and come back and finish it. Well when they poured the last 1/3 right after they poured it. It rained which washed away the finish made it very uneven and rocks showing. I get home and was pretty disappointed i got in contact with him and let him i know i wanted it fixed also from the cement truck driving on my driveway it cracked it. As he told me everything would be ok. He came back to fix the problems i can made aware to him and he said he was going to put a seal coat on the concrete. He told me he was picking some up and if black wold work for me and i said yes bc to seal concrete it has to be a stain to make a color concrete regular stain you can make wet but its clear and you spray it on. On the day he fixed the concrete he sealed part of the driveway that day. Well he sealed it with black asphalt sealer. He did about half of my driveway. Asphalt sealer does not seal concrete does not stick to concrete peals up after about a year. and it looks AWFUL! There is no way to getting it off bc its rubber it wears off. I really dont know what to do, is it worth suing? If i had to guess the damages is about 15-20,000$ they have to rip out all the old concrete and pour new concrete. I really would like some advise. Thank you very much!

TigerD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

August 18, 2014 I put a post on craigslist looking for someone to add onto my concrete driveway.
Mistake number one. Professional contractors don't need to troll craigslist for jobs.

i had a gentleman stop over and say he would like to do the job. We wrote a contract up saying " This is an agreement for concrete work for a 14ft wide 45ft long tapered down to the main driveway, and a 10ft wide tapered down to 4ft. and removal of 3 small stumps $3700 which includes the concrete and clean up."
Mistake No. 2. That job is a minimum of $10k in Missouri and I can't image we are more expensive than Michigan. There is no way you can look at that price and think you are getting a pro.

I travel for work so i was gone back and forth not seeing the job everyday. This was not my first quote on the job, the other company said they would need a pumper which pumps the concrete from the road to the portion that i needed done so it would not break my existing concrete. And i did tell him that he said there is no problem and shouldn't be a problem.
Mistake No. 3. You knew your existing concrete wouldn't bear the load and your contractor blew you off. You should have verified the quote included the cost of the pumper.

It took them about a week to prep the driveway due to rain delays. On a Tuesday they poured the driveway i was out of town, 2/3 of the driveway looked pretty good the other 1/3 well he didnt measure and he did not get enough concrete so the truck had to go back and get more and come back and finish it. Well when they poured the last 1/3 right after they poured it. It rained which washed away the finish made it very uneven and rocks showing. I get home and was pretty disappointed i got in contact with him and let him i know i wanted it fixed also from the cement truck driving on my driveway it cracked it.
After all those problems, you had the guy back to do more work? Mistake No. 4

As he told me everything would be ok. He came back to fix the problems i can made aware to him and he said he was going to put a seal coat on the concrete. He told me he was picking some up and if black wold work for me and i said yes bc to seal concrete it has to be a stain to make a color concrete regular stain you can make wet but its clear and you spray it on.
Mistake No. 5. You approved the repair without understanding it.

On the day he fixed the concrete he sealed part of the driveway that day. Well he sealed it with black asphalt sealer. He did about half of my driveway. Asphalt sealer does not seal concrete does not stick to concrete peals up after about a year. and it looks AWFUL! There is no way to getting it off bc its rubber it wears off. I really dont know what to do, is it worth suing? If i had to guess the damages is about 15-20,000$ they have to rip out all the old concrete and pour new concrete. I really would like some advise. Thank you very much!
Here's your problem. If you sue him, you might win. Then you get to join what I expect is a long line of people to whom he owes money. Realistically, you should background the guy before you spend the money to file suit. There is no point in throwing good money after bad.

Next time research your contractor before hiring them.

DC

STEPHAN

Usually there are permits required for such kind of work. That usually means that you get a propery inspection.

How is this in your place?

justalayman

Usually there are permits required for such kind of work. That usually means that you get a propery inspection.

How is this in your place?

Inspection? For what?

at best the building department would want a drawing of the location of the drive in relation to the property lines and roadway. Never seen an inspection on a concrete drive because there are no building codes requiring it to be built in any particular fashion.

STEPHAN

Inspection? For what?
In my city they do inspections on driveways. I saw this when I searched for Michigan:

http://www.cityofdearborn.org/component/docman/doc_view/65-concrete-information-permit?Itemid=243

I am not an expert in this flied, that's why I asked OP.

Was just an idea.

justalayman

In my city they do inspections on driveways. I saw this when I searched for Michigan:

http://www.cityofdearborn.org/component/docman/doc_view/65-concrete-information-permit?Itemid=243

I am not an expert in this flied, that's why I asked OP.

Was just an idea.
fair enough

so, let me say this. In my area of Michigan, you go to the building department office and file for a permit. You submit a drawing of the proposed work. They look at it, briefly, and say yea or nay. Then they issue a permit if it was yea. That's the last you will see of them unless you ask them to come out for something.

I do see Dearborn is a lot pickier than my area.

but something else that might be a possibility here:

OP applied for the permit himself with a claim of doing the work himself. Many of the cut rate contractors do tell the home owner to go and get a permit with the homeowner as the contractor. That is how some of the unlicensed contractors skirt getting caught.

apparently Dearborn has had problems with that as well. This is from their publication you linked:

Homeowners are discouraged from obtaining permits on behalf of a contractor.
The City of Dearborn addresses code & ordinance issues with the permit holder

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">